Sean Duffy is a partner in Baker McKenzie's Sydney office. He has practiced in Australia and overseas since 1998, including three years in the Firm's Chicago office. Sean lectures in the Master of Laws program at The University of Sydney (Advanced Financing Techniques).
Sean advises clients on mergers and acquisitions, restructurings and financings, including in the infrastructure and utilities (particularly energy) sectors, and on government privatisations. His clients have included banks (Citigroup, NAB), governments (NSW Government), infrastructure trade players (Abertis, Cintra, Transurban), listed funds, mining houses, unlisted funds (Challenger, H.R.L. Morrison, OTPP, Palisade and Whitehelm) and energy utilities (Duke Energy, J-Power and Origin).
Representative Legal Matters
- Acted for a bidder for Pacific Hydro's assets in Australia, Chile and Brazil, as auctioned by IFM.
- Acted for the NSW Government in relation to the sale of the Home Care Service to Australian Unity.
- Acted for Whitehelm Capital on the acquisition of 49.9% interest in Worsley Multi-Fuel Cogeneration from GE.
- Acted for the administrator of Griffin Coal on the divestment process for Griffin Power.
- Acted for a sponsor on their development of Cherry Point Coal Terminal in Seattle, US.
- Acted for a consortium on their bid for Brisbane RiverCity Motorway.
- Acted for the NSW Government on the sale of its electricity retail and generation assets.
- Acted for a consortium bid for Chicago Midway International Airport.
- Acted for Challenger on their acquisition and financing of Oaklands Hill Wind Farm as sold by AGL.
- Acted for an OTPP lead consortium on their bid for NSW Lotteries.
- New York~United States (2008)
- New South Wales~Australia (1998)
- University of New South Wales (LL.M.) (2005)
- Australian National University (LL.B.) (1997)
- Australian National University (Bachelor of Commerce) (1996)
Baker & McKenzie, an Australian Partnership, is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.