Hugo Dubovoy advises on corporate compliance, M&A, cross-border transactions and complex commercial arrangements in Latin America, with a particular focus on Mexico. Hugo is a former president and current board member of the US-Mexico Chamber of Commerce’s Mid-America Chapter. He has also served as in-house counsel to the Mexican government and to the Mexican subsidiaries of large multinationals companies. He is fluent in English and Spanish and is admitted to practice Mexican Law.
Hugo regularly advises multinational companies across all industries on foreign investment, international joint ventures, restructurings, cross-border transactions and complex commercial and licensing arrangements. These include mergers and acquisitions, structuring, starting and conducting their operations, and green field projects. Hugo also assists clients in doing business internationally.
Representative Legal Matters
- Represented a food industry manufacturer with respect to initiating manufacturing operations in Mexico, from project structuring, land purchase, construction, regulatory approvals and permits, and hiring.
- Represented a beverage alcohol manufacturer in its acquisition of various state-of-the-art breweries located in Mexico.
- Represented a truck manufacturer with respect to initiating manufacturing operations in Mexico, from project structuring, land purchase, construction, regulatory approvals and permits, and hiring.
- Advised a dairy industry manufacturer with respect to the sale of its products in Mexico.
- Advised an air conditioning equipment manufacturer on its Latin American commercial agreements.
- Represented a technology and defense company in relation to government procurement contracts in Mexico.
- Represented an outdoor power equipment manufacturer with respect to terminating and replacing its Latin American distributors.
- Represented an electronic equipment manufacturer in its joint venture with a leasing company to serve the Mexican market.
- Advised a tobacco company on its acquisition of a Mexican cigarette manufacturer.
- Represented a major financial institution coordinating complex commercial and criminal litigation in Mexico.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Mexican National Association of Corporate Counsels - Member
- U.S.-Mexico Chamber of Commerce - Board Member, Mid-America Chapter
- Mexican Bar Association - Member
- Illinois~United States (1996)
- Mexico (1983)
- Foreign Legal Consultant on Mexican Law
- Colegio Superior de Ciencias Juridicas (LL.M. Tax Law) (1987)
- La Salle University (J.D., Honors) (1983)
- Autonomous Technological Institute of Mexico (Post Graduate HR Diploma)