Reagan Demas has significant experience working on behalf of companies and investors in emerging markets. He has conducted investigations into a variety of legal compliance matters for companies across industries, and has worked on the ground evaluating investment and business opportunities worldwide. Reagan has also written and spoken extensively on corruption, compliance and doing business in Africa.
Reagan focuses his practice on anti-corruption, Foreign Corrupt Practices Act investigations and corporate compliance. He has provided solutions on issues of taxation, investment, entity registration, security, risk management and expatriate employment. He conducts investigations, training and due diligence on behalf of clients in Africa and other emerging markets, and provides advice on business ethics and human rights-related legal obligations and voluntary regimes. He has worked for several years on the African continent and has extensive contacts and knowledge on local law questions.
Representative Legal Matters
- Managed and conducted a full-scale internal investigation on behalf of a global freight forwarder on potential violations of the FCPA and other compliance issues in six North and West African nations, as part of a US Department of Justice investigation.
- Assisted a US-based product distributor in restructuring its Nigerian operations in compliance with US and Nigerian law.
- Conducted onsite customs-related compliance assessments in six countries in Africa, Asia and South America for a multinational drilling company.
- Counseled a global services corporation on security and legal issues in Nigeria's delta region.
- Acted for a US-based global oil and gas service provider in drafting anti-corruption and trade compliance manuals and associated materials. Trained over 1,000 employees in six African countries on FCPA and local law compliance.
- Managed investigation of potential violations of the FCPA in China by a listed global oil and gas services company, including disclosure and reporting to the US Department of Justice and the US Securities and Exchange Commission.
- Served as compliance consultant to a global freight forwarder and a logistics provider post-DOJ/SEC settlement and delivered regular reports to DOJ/SEC as required under the Deferred Prosecution Agreement.
- Acted on behalf of a leading global pharmaceutical company in drafting agreements and leading negotiations related to the sale and distribution of a popular pharmaceutical, ensuring compliance with FCPA and other US and local laws, protecting against black market distribution, and ensuring safe and proper use of the product in Africa.
- Conducted due diligence on potential joint venture partners on behalf of an oil services supplier restructuring operations in Angola.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Blood:Water Mission - Board of Directors
- World Relief on Microfinance Restructuring (2003-2004) - Former Member of the Advisory Committee
- District of Columbia~United States (2009)
- California~United States (2001)
- Harvard Law School (J.D.) (2000)
- Stanford University (B.A. Distinction) (1997)
Baker & McKenzie LLP is a Limited Liability Partnership organized under the laws of the State of Illinois (USA) and is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Verein organized under the laws of Switzerland.