Borys Dackiw has been a partner of Baker McKenzie since 1995. In 2008 Mr. Dackiw was appointed managing partner of the Gulf offices (including Abu Dhabi, Doha, Riyadh and Bahrain), coordinating the opening of the Abu Dhabi and Doha offices and the merger in the UAE with Habib Al Mulla in July 2013. Mr. Dackiw is head of the Compliance practice in the Gulf and also advises on mergers & acquisitions (including privatizations), private equity and general corporate and commercial law.
Borys regularly advises clients across various industries on their compliance and anti-bribery policies and programs and has participated in whistleblower interviews relating to allegations of bribery and other bribery-related investigations. He also works with in house legal teams of multi-national clients to deliver tailored trainings on anti-corruption issues, including legal developments and enforcement trends in the UAE.
Prior to this appointment Borys, held the position of managing partner in the Prague (Czech Republic) and Kyiv (Ukraine) offices of Baker McKenzie.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advising major multinationals operating in the Middle East on the impact of the Qatar diplomatic crisis and how to adapt their business operations to comply with the embargo on Qatar.
- Advised a global industrials company on an investigation into embezzlement claims and compliance issues, following its global acquisition of another major player in this sector and its rapid expansion across the MENA region. This included filing claims with the UAE civil and criminal courts against the individuals involved and identifying remedial measures for the client to assist with their compliance programmes and processes.
- Advised a global insurance company on its potential notification obligations under UAE and KSA laws related to a UAE employee's email transfer of certain data pertaining to government employees from the company's system to his personal email account.
- Advised a European-headquartered corporate and investment bank in connection with its legal obligations in relation to breaches of trade sanctions laws, dealing with local and foreign regulators.
- Advised Hasan Ismaik, the former CEO of Dubai-based Arabtec, on the USD963 million sale of a significant stake in Arabtec to Aabar Investments PJSC.
- Advised Leemar Investments FZE on the USD100 million investment in and acquisition of a 50 percent stake in SUSHISAMBA, a global restaurant business, including the formation of a joint venture and global tax structuring for its expansion into new markets.
- Advising a Malaysian-owned investment vehicle on the private placement of a USD1.75 billion bond with a joint guarantee from an investment company owned by the Abu Dhabi Government.
- Advising SKAI Holding on the structuring, development, financing and construction of a USD1 billion 5-star hotel on Palm Jumeirah in Dubai.
- Advising DB Masdar Clean Tech Fund on a venture capital investment into a US-based early stage specialty chemicals company.
- Advising SNC Lavalin as part of the consortium advising the Ministry of Oil of the Republic of Iraq on the USD13.5 billion construction and development of Iraq’s third oil pipeline.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Czech Bar Association
- New York State Bar Association
- Czech Republic (Advocate)~Czech Republic (2001)
- New York~United States (1987)
- Dubai - Registered Legal Consultant
- Stanford University (Master International Policy Studies) (2001)
- Columbia University (J.D.) (1986)
- Georgetown University School of Foreign Service (B.S. magna cum laude) (1983)