Jon Cowley is a member of Baker McKenzie's Hong Kong office. Jon's practice focuses on Asia-Pacific customs and trade matters, including controversy and audit support, duty and indirect tax planning, supply chain structuring and trade compliance advice. Jon returned to Baker McKenzie after spending five years as Assistant General Counsel for Customs and International Trade at a major consumer product company, where he advised the business on trade and customs issues globally. He previously was an associate with Baker McKenzie’s International Trade Controversies and Planning practice in Hong Kong, where he assisted multinational companies with China customs, export control, encryption, indirect tax and cross-border regulatory matters. Earlier in his career, Jon was a trade advisor with consulting firms in Silicon Valley and Chicago.
Jon's practice concentrates on the laws, regulations and international agreements governing the cross-border movement of products, technology and services, including customs, free trade agreements, export controls, sanctions, indirect tax, and other cross-border regulatory regimes. In prior in-house and external roles, Jon focused on customs duty and indirect tax planning, controversy and audit support, strategic supply chain planning, and trade compliance program enhancement.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised a multinational consumer product company in a smuggling investigation in China.
- Assisted companies in customs audits and controversies in more than 20 jurisdictions.
- Supported numerous apparel, footwear and consumer product companies in establishing, expanding and defending first sale customs valuation programs in the United States.
- Counseled a major semiconductor company in a comprehensive customs audit in the United States.
- Advised various consumer product companies with global retail and supply chain planning.
- Advised major multinational companies with free trade agreement opportunity identification, qualification and defense in Asia-Pacific region.
- Conducted trade compliance reviews throughout the Asia-Pacific region for various companies in the semiconductor, information technology and apparel industries.
- Advised importers in preparing voluntary disclosures to government authorities, covering issues such as tariff classification, customs valuation, special trade programs and strategic commodity controls.
- Assisted companies in the technology, electronics, healthcare and banking industries on Strategic Commodity control licensing and enforcement matters in Hong Kong.
- Hong Kong (as registered foreign lawyer) (2017)
- Illinois~United States (2004)
- The Ohio State University (JD) (2004)
- Brigham Young University (BS Economics) (2000)
Baker & McKenzie, a Hong Kong partnership, is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.