Alfonso Cortez is the managing partner in the Monterrey office since 1 July 2020, a member of the North America Litigation and Government Enforcement Steering Committee and the head of the Monterrey office’s Dispute Resolution Practice Group. He has more than 22 years of experience in his area of practice and is highly knowledgeable in a wide range of litigation matters.
Alfonso is a member of the law faculty at the Universidad Cervantina and of the Phi Delta Phi international law fraternity.
Representative Legal Matters
- Representing clients in constitutional rights protection (amparo) lawsuit litigation, arguing the unconstitutional nature of various domestic laws and procedures that arise from the same, such as condemnation laws, laws regulating pawnshops, general health law and general law on tobacco control, etc.
- Advising clients in insolvency, bankruptcy and reorganization proceedings.
- Advising clients in commercial and civil litigation proceedings regarding real estate, the execution of credit agreements, stockholders’ rights, trusts, mortgages, insurance and collateral.
- Advising clients in proceedings for the execution in Mexico of arbitration awards or judgments rendered abroad.
- Advising clients in all kinds of administrative litigation in connection with permits, concessions and administrative agreements, and in connection with business shutdowns and fines or penalties imposed by administrative authorities.
- Advised diverse multinational companies regarding Mexican class action regulations.
- Leading Lawyer Dispute Resolution Monterrey Award, Chambers and Partners, 2019
- Leading Lawyer Dispute Resolution Monterrey Award, Chambers and Partners, 2018
- Leading Lawyer Dispute Resolution Monterrey Award, Chambers and Partners, 2017
- Leading Lawyer Dispute Resolution Monterrey Award, Chambers and Partners, 2016
- Best Lawyers Commercial Litigation Monterrey Award, Best Lawyers, 2020
Professional Associations and Memberships
- National Association of Corporate Lawyers Nuevo León Section, "Asociación Nacional de Abogados de Empresa Sección Nuevo León (ANADE-NL) - Vice president (2013 – 2015)
- The Mexican Bar Association Nuevo León Section, Barra Mexicana de Abogados Sección Nuevo León (BMA-NL) - Constitutional Rights Commission coordinator (2014 – 2016)
- Board of the Mexican Bar Association Nuevo León Section - Member (2016 to present)
- American Chamber of Commerce of Mexico - Member
- International Chamber of Commerce - Member
- Mexico (1997)
- Georgetown University Law Center (Legal English) (2012)
- Instituto de la Judicatura Federal, México (Constitutional Actions) (1999)
- University of Monterrey (Honors) (1996)
- Capital University (International Business) (1995)
- Carlos III University (European Union Law) (1994)
- Co-author, "Law of Patrimonial Liability of the State and Municipalities of Nuevo Leon," 2013.
- Co-author, "Global Restructuring & Insolvency Guide-Americas," 2014.
- Author, "Mexico's Anti-Money Laundering Regulations."