Alex’s practice focuses on international tax planning with an emphasis on the tax aspects of corporate finance, mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures and corporate restructurings, especially those with an international aspect and those involving entrepreneurs. Alex is an experienced global key client manager and is the Firm's global relationship partner for several of our key clients. Alex's clients include large corporates, funds and financial services groups.
Alex is currently the Firm's EMEA+ Chief Executive. Since 2016 he served for five years as the London office Managing Partner and prior to that Alex headed and led the growth of Baker McKenzie's London tax practice for 10 years.
Alex is ranked by Chambers & Partners as an eminent practitioner who say 'he has great insight and vision into any complex tax topic'.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advising a well known global multinational conglomerate on numerous projects for over 15 years ranging from the conversion of its European business into a single UK company with multiple overseas branches the a recent formation of a Joint Venture.
- Advising a patent-rich Fortune 500 company on the relocation of its global principal functions to the UK including engaging with HMRC in reshaping key aspects of the 2016 UK patent box legislation.
- Advising Bertelsmann AG on the formation of its publishing joint venture with Pearson plc, comprising the Random House and Penguin businesses including in the UK, US, Canada, Australia and South Africa.
- Advising hedge funds and hedge fund managers with respect to their UK and international structures and tax affairs, including commodity traders and equity hedge fund managers.
- England & Wales (1992)
- College of Law at Lancaster Gate (S.F.E.) (1990)
- Oxford University (B.A.) (1988)