Sofía is an associate in the Tax Group of Baker McKenzie's office in Mexico City. She joined the Firm in 2010 and has 4 years of experience in transfer pricing compliance and 6 years of experience providing advice to local and multinational companies on tax planning, mergers and acquisitions and corporate taxes, including VAT compliance matters.
Sofía focuses her practice on international tax planning, mergers and acquisitions, issues of permanent establishment, cross-border payments, transfer pricing, and indirect taxes such as VAT. She also has experience in income tax implications on severance payments.
Representative Legal Matters
- Assisted various industry large multinational companies in tax implications of its M&A and cross-border transactions in Mexico.
- Represented various industry clients in tax audits and litigations; assisted in determining omitted contributions in the audit and providing input on tax matters in the litigation.
- Advised various industry clients in the determination of the income tax triggered on severance payments to individuals.
- Advised a couple of clients in the analysis of its transactions in light of the new provisions on digital economy.
- Designed and implemented strategies aimed at recovering VAT in favor of various industry clients.
Sofía was involved in a pro bono project with the Center for International Human Rights' "Youth Rights Resource Compass," which is an up-to-date collection of information available for children, youth and families during COVID-19.
- Mexico (2013)
- Universidad Panamericana (Master in Domestic Tax Legislation) (2015)
- Universidad Anáhuac (International Tax Expert) (2014)
- Universidad Panamericana (Accountant Degree) (2013)
- Instituto de Estudios Bursátiles (Banking and Finance Specialist (Summer 2013)) (2013)
- Co-author, "Transfer Pricing Forum," Bloomberg BNA, July 2015.
- Co-author, "Tax Issues for the Luxury & Fashion Industry," Global Legal Guide for Luxury & Fashion Companies, June 2018.
Baker & McKenzie Abogados, S.C. is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.