Gavin Bushell is a partner in the European Competition & Regulatory Affairs Practice Group in Brussels, where he advises clients on EU competition and merger control law.
He has more than 20 years of experience practicing law and is a frequent speaker at legal conferences, particularly on merger control matters. In 2020, Gavin was listed as one of a limited number of practitioners in the Who’s Who Legal: Thought Leaders – Competition 2020.
Gavin is individually ranked in Chambers & Partners Global - Belgium for Competition Law in Band 3. “Clients appreciate that Gavin Bushell is "very quick in giving his assessment and gets to the point." He leads high-value merger control mandates that often trigger merger notifications in the EU and across multiple jurisdictions. "He goes the extra mile and finds pragmatic solutions to the problems," says another source.” "Clients say that Gavin Bushell is "extremely business-oriented, which makes it very easy to talk to him and to explain the practical issues." He is a key figure in the firm's competition team, regularly advising on EU merger investigations and assisting with the co-ordination of supporting global filings. Clients appreciate his ability to handle international mandates, saying: "He has huge experience in cross-border or multi-jurisdictional filings".
In March 2012, Gavin was named by Global Competition Review as one of the top 40 of the world's leading competition practitioners under the age of 40 in its 40 under 40 survey. He is author of a number of articles on EU competition and merger control law and is the author of the three-chapter Introduction to EU Competition Law: Mergers and Acquisitions published by Edward Elgar Publishing.
Representative Legal Matters
- Represents Sika AG on its EUR 5 billion acquisition of MBCC Group.
- Represented Chr. Hansen on the sale of its NCD division.
- Represented Lonza AG on the sale of its LSI business.
- Represented Hitachi Ltd on its GBP 11 million acquisition of the ABB Power Grid business before the European Commission as well as coordinating the global merger filing strategy.
- Represented Lonza and Chr. Hansen on their microbiome joint venture before the European Commission.
- Represented Shanghai Jin Jiang International Hotels Group before the European Commission on its EUR 1.7 billion acquisition of the Radisson Group.
- Represented Camso on its EUR 1.7 billion acquisition by Michelin.
- Represented AGFA on its proposed joint venture with LHG.
- Represented one of the largest German airlines and Brussels Airlines on the acquisition of Thomas Cook Airlines Belgium before several national competition authorities.
- Represented Abbott Laboratories on its USD 5.8 billion acquisition of Alere Inc. before the European Commission to secure conditional Phase I clearance in the face of an active complainant and to secure purchaser approval for three divestment businesses subject to an upfront buyer commitment.
- In 2020, Gavin was listed as one of a limited number of practitioners in the Who’s Who Legal: Thought Leaders – Competition 2020
- Best Business Article - Mergers Category - 2018 Antitrust Writing Awards, Concurrences Review in cooperation with George Washington University
- Band 3, Chambers Europe for Competition Law, since 2017
- 2012 40 under 40 of the world's leading competition lawyers
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Society of England & Wales - Member
- Barreau de Bruxelles - A-List
- Brussels~Belgium (2002)
- England & Wales~United Kingdom (2002)
Author, “How Illumina-ting: the EU Merger Regulation and the brutal operation of power under Article 22 EUMR”, Kluwer Competition Law Blog, 20 April 2021
Author, "EU Merger Control: Life without the UK - Brexit and Beyond" Kluwer Competition Law Blog, 3 December 2020
Author, "Merger Control: To fee or not to fee, that is the question (and some practical tips)" Kluwer Competition Law Blog, 21 November 2020
Co-author, IBA Merger Working Group submission in response to the European Commission's public consultation on the White Paper on Foreign Subsidies, September 2020
Author, "EU Merger Control and the Implications from the Coronavirus Crisis", Kluwer Competition Law Blog, 20 March 2020
Author, "EU Merger Control: The Innovation Theory of Harm - The Debate Continues", Kluwer Competition Law Blog, 22 March 2018