Gavin focuses on EU competition and merger control law, and aviation law and regulation, and has acted for global companies in various sectors including aviation, banking, pharmaceuticals, beverages, medical devices, mining, parcel delivery services, recorded music, manufacturing, packaging and nuclear energy. He has broad experience in all aspects of merger transactions, international cartel and horizontal agreement investigations, state aid proceedings, Article 102 TFEU (abuse of dominance) investigations as well as representing clients in litigation before the General Court of the European Court of Justice in Luxembourg to challenge European Commission decisions. Mr. Bushell has advised and trained clients around the world on creating and implementing competition compliance training programmes.
Representative Legal Matters
- Represented one of the largest German airlines and Brussels Airlines on the acquisition of Thomas Cook Airlines Belgium before several national competition authorities.
- Represented Abbott Laboratories on its USD 5.8 billion acquisition of Alere Inc. before the European Commission to secure conditional Phase I clearance in the face of an active complainant and the subsequent approval of two up-front buyers.
- Represented Lonza on its USD 5.5 billion acquisition of Capsugel before the European Commission to secure unconditional Phase I clearance.
- Represented Safran on the sale of its Morpho Detection business to Smiths Group before the European Commission to secure conditional Phase I clearance.
- Represented FedEx before the European Commission to successfully secure Phase II unconditional clearance of its EUR 4.4 billion acquisition of TNT Express after having represented FedEx before the European Commission to successfully challenge the UPS/TNT merger. Subsequently represented FedEx as intervener before the General Court in the UPS v Commission litigation.
- Represented Abbott Laboratories before the European Commission to obtain conditional Phase I clearance of the sale of its Established Pharmaceutical Division in Development Markets to Mylan for USD 5.3 billion.
- Represented Ergon Capital on the sale of Steel Partners/Joris Ide Group to Kingspan Plc, which was cleared by the European Commission in Phase I.
- Represented Ingram Micro on the acquisition of Anov Expansion and obtained unconditional clearance in Phase I in a Simplified Procedure within 17 working days.
- Represented Aegean Airlines before the European Commission to obtain unconditional Phase II clearance of its acquisition of Olympic Air, a significant result given that the first merger attempt was prohibited in 2011.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Society of England & Wales - Member
- Bureau de Bruxelles - E-List
- Brussels~Belgium (2002)
- England & Wales~United Kingdom (2002)