Maurice A. Bellan is a partner in Baker McKenzie's North America Litigation and Government Enforcement Practice Group. He leads the Firm’s False Claims Act practice and advises clients on a broad range of fraud and anti-corruption matters.
He is a former criminal investigator and trial attorney at the US Department of Justice with over 20 years of complex investigative, civil, and criminal litigation experience. Maurice has also served on the boards of organizations such as National Senior Campuses and the Downtown Columbia Arts & Culture Commission.
Maurice's government enforcement practice involves pharmaceutical and medical devices, government contracts, and the financial and energy industries. He regularly counsels clients who participate in US federal programs or receive federal funding for business activities.
He handles enforcement of the False Claims Act, Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, and Financial Institutions Reform, Recovery and Enforcement Act, as well as investigations related to Stark and Anti-Kickback allegations. Maurice also advises in enforcement actions pursued by several branches of government including the DOJ, DoD, FinCEN and various US congressional committees.
Maurice has experience in trials and appeals in several state, federal district and appellate courts, the US Tax Court, and the Court of Federal Claims. He handles civil and criminal actions on trade secrets, securities transactions, breach of contracts and a variety of federal statutory regulations.
Representative Legal Matters
- Represented a multinational financial services company in the investigation of its compliance with federal lending regulations.
- Represented a multinational financial services company in a DOJ False Claims Act investigation.
- Conducted an Office of Foreign Assets Control and compliance investigation on behalf of a provider of money services in the prison industry, and provided counsel on the development of an anti-money laundering program.
Prior to joining the Firm, Maurice handled the following matters:
- Represented a computer manufacturer in the US District Court for the District of Minnesota in a false claims action where a compliance officer claimed 11 major computer manufacturers violated provisions of the Buy American statute.
- Represented a food manufacturer in a False Claims Act internal investigation and litigation involving a food supply contract with the Department of Defense.
- Advised a large retailer regarding the implementation and maintenance of its third-party anti-corruption due diligence program in Central and South America.
- Secured dismissal of a false claims action in the Eastern District of Virginia against a government contractor providing linguist services to military serving in Afghanistan.
- Represented a supplier of pharmaceutical drugs in congressional investigation regarding pricing and distribution practices.
- Represented a quasi-public housing authority in parallel congressional and Department of Housing and Urban Development OIG investigations regarding compliance and use of public funding.
- Obtained permanent injunctive relief and USD 1.8 million in damages on behalf of an international temporary staffing firm in a federal trademark infringement action.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association - Member
- National Bar Association - Member
- DC Bar Association
- Maryland State Bar Association - Member
- Minority Corporate Counsel Association
- Appointed commissioner overseeing Maryland's airport and aviation system
- Risk Management Committee on the Board of Directors of National Senior Campuses, Inc. - Former member
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims~United States (2011)
- District of Columbia~United States (2009)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit~United States (2008)
- U.S. Tax Court~United States (2006)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit~United States (2005)
- U.S. District Court, District of Columbia~United States (1999)
- U.S. District Court, District of Maryland~United States (1999)
- Maryland~United States (1999)
- U.S. Tax Court
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
- University of Maryland (J.D.) (1998)
- Howard University (Bachelor of Arts cum laude) (1991)