Maurice regularly counsels clients in industries heavily regulated by US federal programs or engaged in any activity that is sponsored by the federal government. He leads the Firm’s False Claims Act (FCA) and government contracts practice and his work routinely involves FCA compliance, investigations and litigation, bid proposal review and advice, suspension and debarment investigations and negotiations, protection of intellectual property in government contracting and defense against stark and anti-kickback allegations. Maurice also handles multi-national anticorruption investigations involving the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) and has also shepherded clients through enforcement actions pursued by several branches of government including the DOJ, DoD, GSA, FinCEN, EPA, FDA, HHS and various US congressional committees.
Maurice is a trial lawyer and has tried cases and argued appeals in several states, federal district and appellate courts across the United States including the US Tax Court and the US Court of Federal Claims. His litigation matters have involved trade secrets, securities transactions, breach of contracts and constitutional questions involving a variety of federal statutory regulations.
Representative Legal Matters
Represented multinational financial services company in investigation of their compliance with federal lending regulations.
Represented multinational financial services company in DOJ False Claims Act investigation.
Conducted Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) and "money services business" (MSB) compliance investigation on behalf of provider of money services in prison industry and provided counsel on the development of an anti-money laundering program.
Represented a computer manufacturer in the US District Court for the District of Minnesota in a false claims action where a compliance officer alleged 11 major computer manufacturers violated provisions of the Buy American statute.
Represent food manufacturer in false claims act internal investigation and litigation involving a food supply contract with the Department of Defense.
Advised large retailer regarding implementation and maintenance of their third-party anti-corruption due diligence program in Central and South America.
Represent electronics retailers in an investigation by the New York Attorney General into potential reverse false claims violations.
Represented aerospace and defense company in congressional inquiry of one of its executives.
Secured dismissal of a false claims action in the Eastern District of Virginia against a government contractor providing linguist services to our military serving in Afghanistan.
Advised major food manufacturer and supplier with due diligence and compliance advice on government contracts during potential acquisition of regional competitor.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association
- National Bar Association
- DC Bar Association
- Maryland State Bar Association
- Minority Corporate Counsel Association
- Appointment by the Governor of Maryland as a commissioner overseeing Maryland's airport and aviation system.
- Former member of the Risk Management Committee on the Board of Directors of National Senior Campuses, Inc.
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims~United States (2011)
- District of Columbia~United States (2009)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit~United States (2008)
- U.S. Tax Court~United States (2006)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit~United States (2005)
- U.S. District Court, District of Columbia~United States (1999)
- U.S. District Court, District of Maryland~United States (1999)
- Maryland~United States (1999)
- District Court of Minnesota~United States
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Virginia~United States
- University of Maryland (J.D.) (1998)
- Howard University (Bachelor of Arts, cum laude) (1991)
- Co-author, "INSIGHT: DOJ Ramps Up Crypto, FCA Enforcement Efforts During Covid-19, Bloomberg, May 2020
- Co-author, "DOJ Guidelines Incentivize Companies to Self-Disclose and Cooperate in False Claims Act Cases," Pratt's Government Contracting Law Report, October 2019
- Co-author, "Can 'Bundle' Payment Plans Shield Against FCA Liability?" Law360, January 2019
- Co-author, "Fla. Case Highlights FCA Risk for Nursing Homes" Law360, April 2017
- "Best Investigations Practices: The First 72 Hours," Association of Corporate Counsel, March 24, 2017
- "FCA and FIRREA Civil Penalties: What Lies Ahead in 2017," The Knowledge Group, March 7, 2017