Nadine focuses on brand clearance and complex trade mark disputes for multinational clients. Nadine has experience in all aspects of trade mark, copyright and design registration, including, oppositions, cancellation, revocation and invalidity actions, assignments, infringements and transactions involving intellectual property.
Nadine has been a member of INTA since 2007 and has served on various INTA committees since 2008. She was sub-committee chair for the Model Law Trademark Guidelines sub-committee from 2014-2018 where she completed the task to update INTA's Model Law Trademark Guidelines.
Nadine has significant experience in the FMCG, Food & Beverage, Luxury and Digital Media, in particular AI, and has been recognised as a leading individual in Legal 500. All of her work is multijuridictional with a key focus on UK and EU Trade Mark disputes in the food and beverage sector as well as machine learning and AI.
Nadine manages the global trade mark portfolio and advises on complex multi-jurisdictional trade mark disputes for one of the largest FMCG companies that owns over 130,000 trade marks. Nadine also manages the portfolio for a leading artificial intelligence company and assists a large West Coast technology company with complex brand clearance projects
Representative Legal Matters
Successfully prevent a third party from registering a similar trade mark which resembled an iconic and well known ice cream brand in the UK.
Assisted a large FMCG company with obtaining registration for a weak descriptive brand in the UK following objections raised by the UK IPO.
Represented an FMCG in a multijurisdictional defence of its ice cream trade mark applications which were opposed by a well known energy drinks company.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- International Trademark Association (INTA) - Committee member and former sub-committee Chairperson (2016-2020)
- South Africa (2013)
- University of South Africa (2000)
- Author, "The Active Ingredient", ITMA Review August 2014
- Co-author, "Intellectual Property Rights in Hashtags", 2014
- Co-speaker, Baker & McKenzie Trade Mark Breakfast Briefing, "Broad specifications: The pros and cons of taking a more restrictive approach" 2019
- Table Topic Moderator, "Registered Designs: How to Address the Cross Border Challenges of Filing Designs in Multiple Jurisdictions", INTA 2018
- Speaker, The Life of a Brand, Food & Beverage IP Law Conference 2016
Firm Committee Memberships