Nadine is a Senior Trade Marks Associate in the Intellectual Property practice. She has extensive experience in global Trade Marks and Designs prosecution and disputes. Nadine has extensive experience in the operations management for key clients in our Global Trade Mark practice. She has been ranked as a Key Lawyer in Technology, Media and Telecommunications by Legal 500 in 2020 and 2021.
Nadine is a qualified solicitor in South Africa. Nadine has some experience managing trade mark portfolios in South Africa and Africa. Nadine has been a member of INTA since 2007 and is currently a member of INTA's Trade Mark Office Practice Committee. She has served on various INTA committees since 2008 and was the Sub-committee chair for the Model Law Trademark Guidelines sub-committee from 2014-2018. She also served on INTA's Africa Global Advisory Council from 2018-2019.
Representative Legal Matters
- Acting one of the leading artificial intelligence companies on a complex multi-jurisdictional trade mark dispute to prevent the registration of one of their core trade marks by a competing AI start-up.
- Acting for one of the largest FMCG companies in an appeal to the Appointed Person to protect one of their well known soap products.
- Acting for one of the largest FMCG companies and successfully prevented the registration of a third party from registering a similar trade mark which resembled an iconic and well known ice cream brand in the UK.
- Represented an FMCG in a multijurisdictional defence of its ice cream trade mark applications which were opposed by a well known energy drinks company.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Trade Mark Office Practice Committee member for INTA until December 2021
- Nadine has been a member of INTA since 2007 and has been a committee member since 2008
- She was also the Sub-committee Chairperson for INTA's Model Law Guidelines committee from 2016-2020 which was tasked with updating INTA's Model Trademark Law Guidelines
- South Africa (2013)
- University of South Africa (2000)
Publications & Presentations
- Editor and co-author, INTA Model Trademark Law Guidelines, 2019
- Author, "The Active Ingredient" - CITMA Review August 2014
- Co-author, "Intellectual Property Rights in Hashtags", 2014
- Co-speaker, Baker McKenzie Trade Mark Breakfast Briefing - "Broad specifications: The pros and cons of taking a more restrictive approach" 2019
- Table Topic Moderator INTA 2018, "Registered Designs: How to Address the Cross Border Challenges of Filing Designs in Multiple Jurisdictions"
- Table Topic Moderator, "Shape Shifters, Finding a Balance Between 3D Marks, Designs and Copyright. INTA 2015
Firm Committee Memberships