Miriam Allena is an of counsel in the Milan office and part of the Public Law, Environmental Law, Pharmaceuticals & Healthcare Law and Real Estate Team. Since joining the Firm in 2019, Miriam has acted on a number of complex, high value cross-border and domestic cases, with a focus on public procurement, environmental law and competition law issues.
She is a tenured Associate Professor of Administrative Law at Bocconi University of Milan and in 2018 was unanimously declared as Full Professor of Administrative Law by the competent Italian national scientific committee.
At Bocconi University Miriam teaches Administrative Law, Environmental Law, Public Procurement Law and ESG Law. Since 2016 she has been teaching at the Bocconi Master in Green Management, Energy and Corporate Social Responsibility (MaGER, now Master in Sustainability and Energy Management, MASEM) which in 2019 was ranked 1st worldwide Master in Sustainable Development and Environmental Management.
Miriam is often invited as a speaker in congresses and seminars in Italy and abroad.
Prior to joining Baker McKenzie, she was Visiting Scholar in the following main Universities: Berkeley Law School (January-August 2019), University of Oxford, UK (various periods of research between 2015 and 2019), Trinity College of Dublin (2013 and 2020), New York University (2011) Reading University, UK (2011), Université de Bordeaux (2009).
Miriam regularly advises domestic and international clients on administrative law matters. These include environmental, energy, public procurement, infrastructure and real estate issues.
She regularly assists clients before Italian Regional Administrative Courts and the Council of State in relation to administrative, environmental and competition law matters.
She has also assisted a number of clients before the Italian Court of Audit.
- In 2015, she was a member of the working group appointed by the Italian Ministry of the Public Administration to draft the Legislative Decrees implementing Law 124/2015 (s.c. 'Reform of the Italian Public Administration') (2015).
- In 2018, she was involved in the joint program of the Italian Ministry of Environment, Land and See and RES4Africa (Renewable Energies for Africa) ‘Policy responses to climate change: sustainable development and energy transition. Supporting Ethiopia in implementing and monitoring INDCs’.
- Since 2020, she has been invited several times at the Senate of the Italian Republic, Commission ‘Affari costituzionali’, to comment on draft laws under discussion in the Parliament.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Milan Bar Association (2011-Present)
- International Society of Public Law (ICONs) (2018-Present)
- Associate Research Fellow at the Centre for Socio Legal Studies, University of Oxford, UK (2015-2017)
- Permanent member of Common Room, Wolfson College, University of Oxford, UK (2015-present)
- Milan~Italy (2011)
- University of Milan (PhD in Administrative Law) (2009)
- Catholic University of Milan (LLM - Scuola di Specializzazione per le Professioni Legali) (2006)
- Catholic University of Milan (JD with honors) (2004)
Miriam Allena authored two monographs and more than 70 other scientific publications (articles, case law comments and chapters of books) in the administrative and environmental law fields.