Colin Murray is the North American Chief Executive Officer.A seasoned trial lawyer who represents global and local clients in complex, fact-intensive business disputes, Colin has tried over 50 cases through final jury verdict, as well as a substantial number of bench trials and private domestic and international arbitration proceedings. He is a former prosecutor who regularly conducted internal investigations on behalf of special committees, and has defended SEC and state agency enforcement actions on behalf of companies and individuals. He also has significant appellate experience, having briefed and argued in the Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit.
Prior to joining Baker McKenzie, Colin served as a Deputy District Attorney in San Diego (1993-2000), and as judicial law clerk to the Honorable Oliver Gasch (United States District Court for the District of Columbia, 1992-1993) and the Honorable Frederick Weisberg (Superior Court of the District of Columbia, 1991-1992).
Colin's business litigation and arbitration practice focuses on cross-border disputes in California. He regularly acts for clients on matters involving commercial contract breaches, warranty breaches, misrepresentation and fraud, unlawful and unfair business practices, consumer class actions, non-competition and other restrictive covenants, trade secret theft, copyright and trademark infringement, False Claims Act litigation, securities litigation and complex employment contract litigation.
Colin's internal investigation and white collar defense experience includes complex cybercrimes, procurement fraud, healthcare fraud, securities fraud, election fraud, bank fraud, environmental crimes and corruption. He recently co-led the investigation into one of the largest cyberattacks in United States history committed by sophisticated overseas intruders.
Representative Legal Matters
- Obtained a defense verdict and an award of over USD 2.2 million for a non-profit entity in breach of contract and fraudulent conveyance arbitration.
- Successfully defended a medical device manufacturer (cancer treatment) in an ICC arbitration held in Hong Kong.
- Defended one of the world's largest manufacturers of transportation vehicles and equipment in week-long ICDR arbitration and related civil litigation.
- Defended an international airline in a nationwide class action against 2.2 million consumers on alleged identity theft and violation of privacy laws.
- Defended an international luxury cinema chain in a nationwide class action against 250,000 consumers on alleged identity theft and violation of privacy laws.
- Obtained a plaintiff verdict and an award of USD 30 million, including USD 20 million in punitive damages, in a fraud and breach of fiduciary duty case following a bench trial.
- Obtained a plaintiff verdict and an award of USD 7.2 million in a misrepresentation, concealment and civil conspiracy case following a three-week jury trial.
- Obtained a defense verdict in a breach of contract/fraud case filed by a former executive against a medical implant company after a two-week jury trial.
- Obtained a defense verdict and an award of USD 1.4 million in attorneys' fees for corporate telecommunications entities and their principals after a month-long arbitration arising out of failed stock purchases.
- Obtained an extension of non-interference covenants against the founder of a dental implant manufacturing company on behalf of the purchaser after a two-week arbitration.
- Recognized lawyer, Super Lawyers, Northern California, 2013-2017
- Recognized lawyer, Super Lawyers, San Diego, 2007-2012
- Top 50 lawyers in San Diego, 2011-2012
- Recognized white-collar litigation lawyer, The Best Lawyers in America
- Top attorney, The San Diego Daily Transcript, 2009 and 2011
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Federal Bar Association
- Association of Business Trial Lawyers
- American Inns of Court
- Served as a director for the Casa Cornelia Law Center, which provides representation to the poor in immigration cases.
- Served as a director of the San Diego County Bar Foundation, which funds legal programs for homeless, senior citizens, abused children, domestic violence, and other worthy causes.
- Served as president of the San Diego County Bar Foundation from 2006 through 2008. Provided pro bono legal counseling and representation to the Chadwick Center for Children and Families at Rady Children's Hospital of San Diego.
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of California~United States (2017)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Tenth Circuit~United States (2016)
- U.S. District Court, District of Colorado~United States (2013)
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California~United States (2005)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit~United States (2003)
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of California~United States (2000)
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California~United States (2000)
- District of Columbia~United States (1994)
- California~United States (1992)
- Illinois~United States (1992)
- Georgetown University Law Center (J.D.) (1991)
- Georgetown University (A.B.) (1988)
- San Diego