Colin Murray is Chief Executive Officer in the North America Region with responsibility for managing Baker McKenzie's practices and people in the United States, Mexico and Canada. In addition, he leads North America in executing the Firm's strategy and purpose, which is to help clients navigate an increasingly complex world. Colin considers himself a "servant leader" and values the input of his entire leadership team, partners, clients and employees. As such, he works hard to makes himself accessible to every single person at the firm at every level of the organization. A strong believer in the power and efficacy of diverse teams, he has worked hard to increase the diversity of the North America Leadership team, which now comprises more than 60% of diverse individuals, including women, attorneys of color and members of the LGBTQ community.
A seasoned trial lawyer who represents global and local clients in complex, fact-intensive business disputes, Colin has tried over 50 cases through final jury verdict, as well as a substantial number of bench trials and private domestic and international arbitration proceedings. He is a former prosecutor who regularly conducted internal investigations on behalf of special committees, and has defended SEC and state agency enforcement actions on behalf of companies and individuals. He also has significant appellate experience, having briefed and argued in the Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit and the California Court of Appeal.
Colin's business litigation and arbitration practice focuses on cross-border disputes in California. He regularly acts for clients on matters involving commercial contract breaches, warranty breaches, misrepresentation and fraud, unlawful and unfair business practices, consumer class actions, non-competition and other restrictive covenants, trade secret theft, copyright and trademark infringement, False Claims Act litigation, securities litigation and complex employment contract litigation.
Colin's internal investigation and white collar defense experience includes complex cybercrimes, procurement fraud, healthcare fraud, securities fraud, election fraud, bank fraud, environmental crimes and corruption. He previously co-led the investigation into one of the largest cyberattacks in United States history committed by sophisticated overseas intruders.
Representative Legal Matters
- Obtained a favorable verdict for the defense in a fraud, misrepresentation, concealment and contract case on behalf of market leading software enterprise services companies following a six-week jury trial.
- Obtained a defense verdict and an award of over USD 2.2 million for a non-profit entity in breach of contract and fraudulent conveyance arbitration.
- Successfully defended a medical device manufacturer (cancer treatment) in a one-month ICC arbitration held in Hong Kong.
- Defended one of the world's largest manufacturers of transportation vehicles and equipment in week-long ICDR arbitration and related civil litigation.
- Defended an international airline in a nationwide class action against 2.2 million consumers on alleged identity theft and violation of privacy laws.
- Defended an international luxury cinema chain in a nationwide class action against 250,000 consumers on alleged identity theft and violation of privacy laws.
- Obtained a plaintiff verdict and an award of USD 30 million, including USD 20 million in punitive damages, in a fraud and breach of fiduciary duty case following a bench trial.
- Obtained a plaintiff verdict and an award of USD 7.2 million in a misrepresentation, concealment and civil conspiracy case following a three-week jury trial.
- Obtained a defense verdict in a breach of contract / fraud case filed by a former executive against a medical implant company after a two-week jury trial.
- Obtained a defense verdict in a breach of contract / fraud case filed by a distributor against a media company after a four-week jury trial.
- Securities and Professional Liability Ranking, Benchmark Litigation, 2020
- Recognized lawyer, Super Lawyers, Northern California, 2013-2021
- Recognized lawyer, Super Lawyers, San Diego, 2007-2012
- Top 50 lawyers in San Diego, 2011-2012
- Recognized white-collar litigation lawyer, The Best Lawyers in America
- Top attorney, The San Diego Daily Transcript, 2009 and 2011
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Federal Bar Association
- Association of Business Trial Lawyers
- American Inns of Court
- Served as a director for the Casa Cornelia Law Center, which provides representation to the poor in immigration cases.
- Served as a director of the San Diego County Bar Foundation (President 2006-2008), which funds legal programs for homeless, senior citizens, abused children, domestic violence, and other worthy causes.
- Provided pro bono legal counseling and representation to the Chadwick Center for Children and Families at Rady Children's Hospital of San Diego.
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of California~United States (2017)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Tenth Circuit~United States (2016)
- U.S. District Court, District of Colorado~United States (2013)
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California~United States (2005)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit~United States (2003)
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of California~United States (2000)
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California~United States (2000)
- District of Columbia~United States (1994)
- California~United States (1992)
- Illinois~United States (1992)
- Georgetown University Law Center (J.D.) (1991)
- Georgetown University (A.B.) (1988)
- San Diego
- Co-author ,"Preparing for Dispute Resolution in International Business: Understand Key Jurisdictional Differences, Draft Contract Wisely,"
Bloomberg BNA Corporate Law & Accountability Report, 4 July 2014
- Co-author, "Plaintiff's Theories in Privacy Class Action Lawsuits: Data Security Risks for Companies with Point of Sale (POS) Systems," Baker McKenzie Webinar, 25 March 2014
Media Mentions and Articles
- Arent Fox and Baker McKenzie Emphasize Individual Responsibility in Return to Office Policies – The American Lawyer
- Baker McKenzie Plans September Return, Eyeing Mix of Virtual and Office Work – The American Lawyer
- Top 5 Biglaw Firm Raises the Bar on Billable Diversity & Inclusion Hours – Above the Law
- For Stock Markets, "An Unwelcome Deja Vu Feeling" – The New York Times*
- Big Law Embraces Juneteenth as a Holiday – Law360
- Leading Questions: Baker McKenzie’s Colin Murray Helms From Home – Bloomberg Law
- INSIGHT: Mentoring During Covid-19 Is More Critical Than Ever – Bloomberg Law
- Baker McKenzie Statement on Derek Chauvin Verdict
- Baker McKenzie Joins Effort to Protect Voting Access in the US
- Baker McKenzie Forms Anti-Racism Taskforce
- Baker McKenzie Achieves 2020 Mansfield Certification Plus in Recognition of Diversity & Inclusion Efforts
- Chambers Shortlists Baker McKenzie for 3 D&I North America Awards
- Baker McKenzie Named Among Top Law Firms for Women for 12th Consecutive Year
- Baker McKenzie To Observe Juneteenth as Holiday in North America