Please click here to see a video introducing our Firm
At Baker McKenzie we are different in the way we think, work and behave. Like no other law firm, we were born global. Our Australian practice was established in Sydney in 1964, in Melbourne in 1982 and in Brisbane in 2014. Our lawyers work seamlessly with our global colleagues, collectively providing a capacity of more than 5,600 locally qualified lawyers and 6,000 professional staff in 77 locations across 47 countries.
Baker McKenzie Australia can offer you access to complex, market leading matters working with some of the world's best legal minds – people who know the law and who understand business. We have an unrivalled ability to provide training and secondment opportunities across our global network. Locally, we have an inclusive culture of learning, coaching and opportunity where you will work in small teams on matters that often cross borders. We value people who think ahead and get noticed.
The Pro Bono & Community Service practice group is responsible for pro bono legal services and community service activities in the Firm's 3 Australian offices.
We are currently looking to recruit a permanent part-time Secretary / Administrative Assistant to provide administrative support to the Pro Bono practice group consisting of three lawyers and a community services lead. The primary focus of this role is to provide administrative support to the Pro Bono lawyers. From time to time, the role will also be required to provide support to the Community Services Lead.
Your working hours will be 10:00am to 3:00pm, five days per week although there is certainly the opportunity to have some flexibility with these hours.
- Team administration including opening new pro bono matters, undertaking conflict searches, drafting C&D letters for new pro bono matters and submitting pro bono Matter NBR's, assisting with monthly pro bono expense and WIP reports, processing expense claims, managing billing processes, maintaining pro bono matter registers, collating pro bono matter statistics, maintenance of the firm's pro bono intranet and extranet sites, assistance with compilation and layout of pro bono emails, presentations, newsletters and other administrative tasks as required; and
- Assisting with event management tasks for pro bono events.
Skills and Experience Required
- 2 years minimum experience as an secretary/ administrative assistant at a law firm
- High degree of technology literacy and usage including all products in the Microsoft office suite and CRM systems
- Excellent listening, verbal and writing skills, including good telephone skills
- Friendly, self-motivated, enthusiastic, personal drive and energy
- Adaptable, flexible, works well independently and in a team
- Excellent interpersonal skills and an ability to work with a wide range of internal and external stakeholders
- A proven ability to pay close attention to detail
- Strong management and organisational skills and a track record of fully implementing projects to completion, on time and often in a high pressure environment
- Ability to prioritise and consistently meet deadlines
- Diligent and pro active approach to keeping the Pro Bono practice group regularly updated with progress of assigned tasks
If you are self motivated and excited by the connectivity that a global law firm can offer, then we would like to hear from you. Please click on the Apply icon to start the online application process for this role. We will then be in touch with you once we have reviewed your application.
For a confidential discussion and further information, please contact Kathleen Blackburn, Talent Management Coordinator, on 02 8922 5255 or email