Andrew Zaw is a principal in the Finance & Projects Practice Group of Baker McKenzie Wong & Leow in Singapore. He has more than 12 years’ experience representing sponsors, lenders and government in energy and infrastructure projects in Asia, Africa and Europe. Andrew is recognised as one of Asia's 40 outstanding lawyers below the age of 40 by Asian Legal Business' 40 under 40, 2019, and one of Singapore’s most influential lawyers aged 40 and under by Singapore Business Review, 2019. He is also recognised as a Next Generation Partner for Banking & Finance: Singapore by Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2019 and 2020 and a rising star in Project Finance by IFLR1000 2019.
Andrew's main areas of practice are in the project financing of oil & gas, power, renewable, mining and infrastructure projects.
Representative Legal Matters
Andrew's financing and project finance experience includes:
- Advising Gulf Energy Development Public Company Limited and Mitsui Corporation on the multi-source, dual currency USD 1.3 billion project financing (with JBIC, ADB, international commercial banks and Thai commercial banks) for their 2,500 MW natural gas-fired IPP in Pluak Daeng District, Rayong Province, Thailand. Named Asia Pacific Power Deal of the Year, PFI Awards 2019 and PFI Asia Pacific Awards, 2019
- Advising CIMB Bank Berhad as mandated lead arranger on the senior and mezzanine financing for TPG Capital Asia’s SGD 279 million acquisition of Quest Laboratories in Singapore and Gribbles Pathology in Malaysia.
- Advising PT UPC Sidrap Bayu Energi on the re-financing of its USD 120 million loan to fund the development and construction of its 75MW wind farm in Sulawesi, Indonesia.
- Advising Serba Dinamik on its cross-border Islamic financing guaranteed by UK Export Finance to support electricity supply, cooling and heating and LNG midstream services in Indonesia. Named Islamic Finance: Trade Finance Deal of the Year, IFN Awards 2019.
- Advising Vena Energy (formerly known as Equis) (Indonesian subsidiary) in relation to 60MW Tolo Wind Farm Project in Jenepoto, South Sulawesi, Indonesia, including negotiating the USD 120 million financing arranged by ADB. Named Finance Deal of the Year: Projects, The Asian Lawyer Asia Legal Awards, 2019.
- Advising Vena Energy (formerly known as Equis) (Indonesian subsidiary) in relation to the USD 55 million financing by ADB of the 4 solar power projects located in Sulawesi and Lombok, Indonesia. Named Finance Deal of the Year: Projects, The Asian Lawyer Asia Legal Awards, 2019.
- Advised ADB in the USD 2 billion project financing to be provided by ADB and commercial banks to (i) Northern Bangkok Monorail as the project company in relation to the development of the MRT Pink Line monorail project and (ii) Eastern Bangkok Monorail as the project company in relation to the development of the MRT Yellow Line monorail project in Thailand.
- Advising SMBC, Mizuho, Krung Thai Bank and Export-Import Bank of Thailand on the financing of the USD 5 billion Long Son Petrochemicals Project being developed in Vietnam by the Siam Cement Group.
- Advised BP and the sponsors' consortium on the 7.6MTPA Tangguh LNG project in Indonesia including the USD 8.5 billion multi-tranche financing for the Train 3 Project funded by international and domestic commercial banks, JBIC and ADB.
- Advised Credit Agricole as the issuing bank and arranger on EUR 1.044 billion guarantee facility for PT Pertamina (Persero) in connection with the acquisition of Maurel & Prom, the Euronext Paris listed independent oil company.
- Recognised as Singapore's most influential lawyers aged 40 and under by Singapore Business Review, 2019
- Recognised as one of the 40 outstanding legal professionals in Asia in Asian Legal Business' 40 under 40 2019 list
- Next Generation Partners, Singapore Banking & Finance: Foreign Firms, The Legal 500 Asia Pacific since 2018
- Recognised as a rising star in Project Finance by IFLR1000 2019
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Society of New South Wales - Member
- New South Wales (2003)
- University of Sydney (Bachelor of Laws, with honors) (2003)
- University of Sydney (Bachelor of Economics) (2000)
Co-presenter, 2015 Project Finance Training Series, Asia Pacific Loan Market Association, 2015
Baker & McKenzie Wong & Leow is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.