Takeshi Yoshida is a partner in the Firm's Dispute Resolution and Compliance & Investigations groups in Tokyo. He handles international dispute resolution and corporate investigations as well as compliance and commercial contracts. Takeshi has been recognized as a "Next Generation Partner" in the dispute resolution field in Japan by Legal 500 (2022 edition). His experience includes working at the ICC International Court of Arbitration in Hong Kong and as a panel arbitrator at the Japan Commercial Arbitration Association (JCAA).
Since 2015, Takeshi has been teaching business negotiation strategy as a part-time lecturer at Chuo University's Graduate School of Strategic Management (Chuo University Business School). In addition, he is a member of the Tokyo Bar Association, the New York Bar Association, the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (CIArb) as an MCIArb, the Institute of Internal Auditors (IIA) as a CIA and the Association of Certified Fraud Examiners (ACFE) as a CFE. Takeshi is fluent in English and Japanese.
Representative Legal Matters
Acted as legal counsel representing various Japanese clients in international arbitration, international litigation (including, but not limited to, US litigation) and other international dispute resolution matters.
Acted as legal counsel representing various international clients and their Japanese subsidiaries in domestic litigation, mediation, provisional or conservative relief, enforcement and other dispute resolution matters.
Drafted and/or negotiated a variety of commercial agreements, including share purchase agreements, joint venture business agreements, business consignment agreements, license agreements and non-disclosure agreements on behalf of various international and Japanese clients.
Represented and acted for various international clients in comprehensive internal investigations of fraud or compliance issues at their Japanese subsidiaries.
Represented and acted for various Japanese clients with global businesses in comprehensive internal investigations of overseas accounting fraud issues in cooperation with BM and external overseas offices.
Represented and acted for various clients in comprehensive internal investigations regarding overseas bribery and related activities involving officers, directors and employees.
Represented and acted for various clients in comprehensive internal investigations regarding overseas and domestic cartels by providing legal support in connection with cooperation with the US Department of Justice and by filing leniency program-related reports and materials with the Japanese Fair Trade Commission.
Represented and acted for various international and Japanese clients by conducting compliance surveys (including interviews) of their business departments and/or subsidiaries for compliance programs and post-merger integration.
Acted for various international and Japanese clients as an external contact for their internal whistle blowing systems and/or compliance hotlines.
Supported various Japanese clients with global business in implementing their global whistle blowing system.
Supported various international and Japnese clients on the introduction of global anti-bribery and anti-cartel compliance programs.
Advised various clients on communications with international human rights NGOs and other actions related to human rights issues.
Supported various international and Japanese clients in implementing human rights policies, human rights due diligence, CSR policies, CSR clauses, etc.
Provided lectures to international and Japanese clients as well as external organizations on anti-bribery, business and human rights at compliance training sessions and seminars.
Next Generation Partner: Bengoshi in the field of Dispute Resolution: International Firms and Joint Ventures in THE LEGAL 500, January 2022
Next Generation Partner: Bengoshi in the field of Dispute Resolution: International Firms and Joint Ventures in THE LEGAL 500, January 2021
Rising Star: Bengoshi in the area of Dispute Resolution: International Firms and Joint Ventures in Japan, THE LEGAL 500, January 2020
Superior Independent Committee Report in 2014, Committee for Rating Third Party Committee Reports, September 2015
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Tokyo Bar Association - Member
- New York Bar Association - Member
- Japan Commercial Arbitration Association - Panel Arbitrator
- Japan Association for Arbitrators - Member
- Chartered Institute of Arbitrators - Member
- Institution of Internal Auditors - Certified Internal Auditor
- Association of Certified Fraud Examiners - Certified Fraud Examiner
- Chuo University's Graduate School of Strategic Management (Chuo University Business School) - Part-time lecturer (Business Negotiation Strategies)
- Anti-Bribery Committee Japan - Member
- IIA Global Legal Risk Management Study Group – Member
- ACFE Study Group - Organizer
- Judge, Intercollegiate Negotiation Competition (sponsored by Sumitomo Group Public Affairs Authority and others) since 2013
- New York~United States (2013)
- Japan (2007)
- Northwestern University School of Law (LLM) (2012)
- The University of Tokyo (LLB) (2003)
Publications and Articles
Product liability, recalls, class actions
- Author, "Managing global product recalls 20: How to address litigation," Business Law Journal, LexisNexis, December 2020, Language: Japanese
- Author, "Managing global product recalls 19: How to address the market," Business Law Journal, LexisNexis, October 2020, Language: Japanese
- Author, "Managing global product recalls 18: How to address administrative authority," Business Law Journal, LexisNexis, August 2020, Language: Japanese
- Author, "Managing global product recalls 17: How to address whistle-blowing reports and handle overseas supply chains," Business Law Journal, LexisNexis, July 2020, Language: Japanese
- Author, "Managing global product recalls 16: Japan," Business Law Journal, LexisNexis, March 2020, Language: Japanese