Takeshi Yoshida is a partner in the Firm's Dispute Resolution and Compliance & Investigations groups in Tokyo. His experience includes working at the ICC International Court of Arbitration in Hong Kong. He handles international dispute resolution and corporate investigation as well as commercial contracts and compliance. He has been recognized as a "Next Generation Partner" in Japan's dispute resolution field by Legal 500 (2021 edition).
Since 2015, Takeshi has been teaching business negotiation strategy as a part-time lecturer at Chuo University's Graduate School of Strategic Management (Chuo University Business School). He is a panel arbitrator at Japan Commercial Arbitration Association (JCAA). In addition, he is a member of the Tokyo Bar Association, the New York Bar Association, the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (CIArb) as an MCIArb, the Institute of Internal Auditors (IIA) as a CIA, and the Association of Certified Fraud Examiners (ACFE) as a CFE. Takeshi is fluent in English and Japanese.
Representative Legal Matters
- Acted as legal counsel in international arbitration, international litigation (including, but not limited to, US litigation) and other international dispute resolution matters.
- Acted as legal counsel in domestic litigation, mediation, provisional or conservative relief, enforcement and other dispute resolution matters.
- Drafted and/or negotiated a variety of commercial agreements, including share purchase agreements, joint venture business agreements, business consignment agreements, license agreements and non-disclosure agreements.
- Represented and acted for various clients in comprehensive internal investigations regarding overseas bribery cases and suspicious alleged activities involving officers, directors and employees.
- Advised various clients on communications with international human rights NGOs and other actions related to human rights issues.
- Represented and acted for various clients in comprehensive internal investigations regarding overseas and domestic cartel cases by providing legal support in connection with cooperation with the US Department of Justice and by filing leniency program-related reports and materials with the Japanese Fair Trade Commission.
- Advised various clients on the introduction of anti-bribery, anti-human rights violation and anti-cartel internal compliance systems.
Next Generation Partner: Bengoshi in the field of Dispute Resolution: International Firms and Joint Venture in THE LEGAL 500, January 2021
Rising Star: Bengoshi in the area of Dispute Resolution: International Firms and Joint Venture in Japan, THE LEGAL 500, January 2020
Superior Independent Committee Report in 2014, Committee for Rating Third Party Committee Reports, September 2015
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Tokyo Bar Association - Member
- New York Bar Association - Member
- Japan Commercial Arbitration Association - Panel Arbitrator
- Japan Association for Arbitrators - Member
- Chartered Institute of Arbitrators - Member
- Institution of Internal Auditors - Certified Internal Auditor
- Association of Certified Fraud Examiners - Certified Fraud Examiner
- Chuo University's Graduate School of Strategic Management (Chuo University Business School) - Part-time lecturer (Strategy for Business Negotiation)
- Anti-Bribery Committee Japan - Member
- IIA Global Legal Risk Management Study Group – Member
- ACFE Study Group - Organizer
- Judge, Intercollege Negotiation Competition (sponsored by Sumitomo Group Public Affairs Authority etc.), 2013-present
- New York~United States (2013)
- Japan (2007)
- Northwestern University School of Law (LLM) (2012)
- The University of Tokyo (LLB) (2003)
Publications and Articles
Product liability, recalls, class actions
- Author, "Managing global product recalls 20: How to address litigation," Business Law Journal, LexisNexis, December 2020, Language: Japanese
- Author, "Managing global product recalls 19: How to address market," Business Law Journal, LexisNexis, October 2020, Language: Japanese
- Author, "Managing global product recalls 18: How to address administrative authority," Business Law Journal, LexisNexis, August 2020, Language: Japanese
- Author, "Managing global product recalls 17: How to address whistle-blowing reports and handle overseas supply chains," Business Law Journal, LexisNexis, July 2020, Language: Japanese
- Author, "Managing global product recalls 16: Japan," Business Law Journal, LexisNexis, March 2020, Language: Japanese