Tjen Wee is a Associate Principal in the Dispute Resolution Practice Group in Singapore. His practice covers international arbitration, commercial litigation, and adjudication under the Singapore Security of Payment Act. Tjen Wee is particularly noted for his work relating to infrastructure and construction. Apart from construction disputes, he also handles a broad range of commercial, MCST, shareholder, and employment disputes.
Tjen Wee is a recommended lawyer in Construction on Legal 500.
Tjen Wee's wealth of experience in international arbitration involves the major arbitral rules including UNCITRAL, ICC, SIAC and KLRCA; with conduct of hearings in multiple jurisdictions such as Singapore, Hong Kong and Kuala Lumpur. His litigation expertise encompasses disputes in commercial law, banking and financial services, building and construction law, and insolvency law.
Representative Legal Matters
- Represented an Australian mining company in its disputes against an Indonesian conglomerate regarding mining rights and remuneration arising out of a coal-mining project in Indonesia. The client’s claims exceeded USD 20 million and the dispute involved a mine collapse and disputed payments under a mining agreement.
- Represented a Singapore statutory board in defending an arbitration claim in excess of SGD 16 million in relation to a dispute with a Hong Kong-based international developer over the construction of a pedestrian underpass and the related collapse of a highway.
- Advised a major Hong Kong construction company in instituting its claims against a Hong Kong statutory board in a complex multi-million dollar dispute over the construction of an international airport.
- Represented a Malaysian power company in their claims with regard to the supply of generating capacity and electricity in an arbitration held in Kuala Lumpur. The dispute between parties arose due to differing interpretations over complex industry-specific contractual clauses, and the parties’ respective claims exceeded RM 100 million.
Litigation / SOP Adjudication
- Represented several individuals in a high-profile fraud / mismanagement / breach of fiduciary duties case lodged by the liquidators to claw back funds that had been siphoned away. The claim is in excess of SGD 20 million.
- Frequently represents clients in adjudications (with claims amounting in excess of $60 million) as well as applications to set aside an adjudication determination and resisting cross-applications to prevent calls on the performance bond arising out a construction project.
- Represented an international contractor in its multi-million dollar dispute regarding the provision of fire protection services and equipment in the construction of an international airport.
- Representing the majority shareholder of a multinational corporation in a minority oppression suit, including offshoot proceedings involving an application for the inspection of company documents under the Companies Act. The latter application was a novel case that was successfully concluded in favour of our client.
- Advised a major Indian construction company in its acquisition of one of Singapore’s largest international construction companies.
- Advised a major Japanese construction firm on their standard form sub-contracts - re-drafting their contracts to enhance its position and ensure compliance with Singapore law.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- The Law Society of Singapore
- Singapore Academy of Law
- Singapore (2006)
- National University of Singapore (LLB with Honors) (2005)