Sarah Williams is an associate in the financial services practice in London.
Sarah advises a broad range of clients on financial services legal and regulatory issues. Sarah's practice includes advising on the regulation of payment services and electronic money, investment firms and consumer credit providers and anti-money laundering compliance issues.
Sarah advises both traditional financial institutions and fintech clients, with a particular focus on advising clients in relation to new and innovative business models and products, including payments products, retail investment platforms, consumer lending and crypto-assets.
She has particular experience on cross-border matters and has advised large fintech clients on their global expansion strategies, including advising on application of regulation and international compliance obligations.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advising a retail stock-broking platform on its UK launch, including obtaining FCA authorization and advising on UK compliance issues.
- Advised a household name banking and payments FinTech on its international expansion and the launch of new products globally, including in the EU.
- Advised a UK electronic money institution and banking as a service provider on various matters, including reviewing safeguarding models and advising on Brexit planning and transition.
- Advised on the global regulation of crypto-asset providers and anti-money laundering compliance strategies when onboarding crypto-asset business as clients.
- Advised a global technology platform on its payments offering and the application of EU payments regulation to e-commerce and payment platform models.
- Advised various merchants on the implementation of strong customer authentication requirements and the availability of exemptions to enable frictionless check-out processes.
- Advised an international insurance group on its pan-European distribution model.
- Obtained FCA equivalence recognition for a Luxembourg fund managed by a large EU investment fund manager and advising on an ongoing basis on the applicable recognition requirements.
- Advised various US hedge funds and third-country institutions on compliance with securities financing transaction reporting under the EU SFTR.
- Advised a large international bank on its global custody and fund servicing arrangements.
- England & Wales~United Kingdom (2017)
- University of Law (Legal Practice Course with Distinction) (2015)
- University of Sheffield (Graduate Diploma in Law (with Distinction)) (2014)
- University of Edinburgh (MA History and German) (2013)