Hennadiy Voytsitskyi heads Baker McKenzie's Tax Practice Group in Kyiv, which was named Ukraine Tax Law Firm at the International Tax Review's 2016 European Tax Awards. He has more than 20 years of experience practicing in Ukrainian and international tax law. Mr. Voytsitskyi is named among the best legal professionals by Legal Experts Europe, Middle East & Africa 2012-2015, one of the leading practitioners of tax law by Legal 500 Europe, Middle East & Africa 2011-2015, and among the Leading Individuals 2012-2015 Band 2 according to the Chambers Europe 2012-2015. He is among the top 100 tax lawyers in Ukraine according to Client's Choice 2010-2015, based on a Yurydychna Gazeta survey of in-house counsel from 2,000 major companies in Ukraine. Mr. Voytsitskyi participated in a working group led by the National Bank of Ukraine on development of draft legislation for the introduction of controlled foreign companies and implementation of BEPS Actions.
Mr. Voytsitskyi focuses his practice on providing sound legal advice to multinational and domestic clients on international tax planning and tax structuring matters, including cross-border inbound and outbound investment, tax controversy and litigation and wealth management concerns. Most recently, he has been heavily involved in advising clients on strategy negotiations and appealing against decisions and other acts and inquiries of tax authorities and tax police, including participation in litigation against tax authorities and tax police.
Representative Legal Matters
- Representing a global manufacturing and technology company in litigation with Ukrainian tax authorities related to the assessment the back taxes.
- Successfully representing client in customs litigation in relation to aircraft components, confiscated upon importation.
- Successfully representing a medical research company in the tax dispute resolution and the tax litigation process against the Ukrainian tax authorities (multimillion CIT and VAT assessment).
- Successfully representing a not-for-profit organization in a dispute with the Ukrainian tax authorities regarding a tax assessment following the results of the tax audit.
- Successfully representing a non-commercial representative office of an international charitable organization in a dispute with the Ukrainian tax authorities regarding the office’s non-commercial status; providing legal and tax support during the tax audit.
- Representing the executive officers of a large international commercial bank before the Tax Police in the course of the investigation of a tax evasion criminal case.
- Advising a commercial representative office of the foreign trading company in a dispute with the Ukrainian tax authorities regarding back taxes assessed by the tax authorities in connection with (i) the allocation of home office expenses to the Ukrainian representative office, and (ii) financing of the Ukrainian representative office.
- Advising a real estate services firm in a tax dispute in the course of the investigation of tax evasion criminal case.
- Providing legal and tax support to a fiber optic company during a tax audit and dispute with Ukrainian tax authorities.
- Representing the Ukrainian subsidiary of a US producer of air engines in tax litigation against the State Tax Inspection of Ukraine.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Ukrainian Bar Association
- Ukraine (1996)
- Harvard Law School (2004)
- Institute of International Relations (1996)
- Co-author, "Multijurisdiction: CIS Countries Introduce New Rules on Taxation of Digital Services," Lexology, 12 July 2021
- Commentator, Various developments of the Ukrainian tax legislation
- Author, Number of articles in international and Ukrainian business publications
Baker & McKenzie - CIS, Limited is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.