Ben has successfully represented Fortune 500 companies, officers and directors, diplomats, and nation-states in their most challenging cases and investigations. His work ranges from defeating nationwide class actions and complex cross-border disputes to advising on government investigations and high-stakes divorce proceedings. He has substantial appellate experience and has obtained victories for clients in multiple federal and state appellate courts, including the Second and Ninth Circuit Courts of Appeal and the California Court of Appeal. His appellate practice has resulted in repeated and complete defense victories over putative class actions asserting claims for unfair competition under California Business and Professions Code § 17200.
Representative Legal Matters
Prior to joining the Firm, Ben handled the following matters:
Represented nationwide homebuilder in federal litigation at trial and appellate levels, including decertification of billion-dollar class action and victories at Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals.
Defended tower of insurers and obtained favorable settlement in cross-border malpractice action litigated in California state and federal courts, the federal courts in Washington D.C. and London.
Represented diplomat in multi-jurisdictional business dispute and achieved complete dismissal of all claims.
- Hon. Pamela Ann Rymer, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- California~United States
- University of Chicago (JD, with Honors, Law Review) (2006)
- Washington University (BSBA Finance and International Business, magna cum laude) (1998)
- Co-author, "Privacy decisions illustrate divergent approaches to statutory interpretation," Daily Journal, 26 July 2021
- Co-author, "'Short Squeeze' Class Actions Face Uphill Battle," Law360, February 2021
- Co-author, "Tougher Oversight Looms for Hedge Funds Investing in PIPEs," Law360, 4 December 2020
- Co-author, "Could the SEC Use Dealer Registration Requirements to Target Investors in PIPE Transactions?" Hedge Fund Law Report, 5 November 2020
- Co-author, "The Progression of COVID-19 Force Majeure Litigation," Law360, 28 August 2020
- Co-author, "How to Avoid Public Company Disclosure Scrutiny After Covid-19," Bloomberg Law, 4 June 2020
- Co-author, "9th Circ. Denials Sustain Consumer Arbitration Hurdles," Law360, 27 April 2020