Rick Troiano is a partner in the corporate team at Baker McKenzie.
Rick specialises in mergers and acquisitions, equity fundraising and corporate advisory.
Rick previously worked as a lawyer at the Australian Takeovers Panel, the main forum for resolving takeover disputes in Australia. This has given him a solid understanding of the law and policy behind the regulation of takeovers and other control transactions in Australia.
Rick is a member of the Corporations Committee (Law Council of Australia), a forum through which current legal issues affecting business are discussed and considered in the context of law reform in Australia.
Rick’s practice centres on advising clients on takeovers, schemes of arrangement, private M&A transactions, IPOs, rights issues, placements and other corporate transactions.
Rick also advise clients on a diverse range of legal issues including transaction structuring, due diligence, directors' duties, market disclosure, insider trading, listing rule compliance and corporate governance matters.
Rick regularly acts for Australian clients in a wide range of sectors. Rick also has extensive experience in cross-border M&A, and regularly act for international clients on their investments in Australia.
Representative Legal Matters
Rick’s experience includes advising:
- Afterpay on its IPO and ASX listing
- MUTB on its AUD 4.1 billion acquisition of Colonial First State Global Asset Management (First Sentier Investors) from CBA
- OTPP on its participation in BGH Capital Consortium’s $2.3b acquisition of Navitas
- Hanesbrands on its AUD 1.1 billion acqusition of Pacific Brands
- Afterpay on its AUD 600 million merger with Touchcorp by scheme of arrangement
- LIFULL on its on AUD 180 million acquisition of Mitula Group by scheme of arrangement
- Recruit Holdings on its AUD 290 million acquisition of Chandler Macleod Group by scheme of arrangement
- Pact Group on its AUD 167 million accelerated entitlement offer to fund the acquisition of Closure Systems International and Graham Packaging Company
- Ansell Limited in connection with its AUD 410 million institutional placement and share purchase plan to fund the acquisition of BarrierSafe Solutions
- Beacon Lighting on its IPO and ASX listing
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Corporations Committee (Law Council of Australia)
- Governance Institute of Australia
- Victoria~Australia (2003)
- University of Melbourne (Master of Law) (2010)
- Monash University (Bachelor of Business Honors) (2002)
- Monash University (Bachelor's Degree Law Honors) (2002)
- Co-author, "Australia: COVID-19 - Mitigating the control effects of entitlement offers during a time of uncertainty," Baker McKenzie InsightPlus, 15 May 2020
- Co-author, "Australia: The Federal Government temporarily permits virtual meetings in response to COVID-19," Baker McKenzie InsightPlus, 8 May 2020