Ai Leen has significant experience representing local and multinational property developers, investors and REITs on transactions including sale and purchase as well as tenancies and leases transactions of both landed and strata titled properties. Her experience spans across all types of property asset classes including residential, industrial, commercial, and office units, buildings, factories and machineries/assets, data centres, vacant land and Malay Reserve Lands.
Ai Leen's practice also includes advising clients on various types of real estate financing, ranging from project financing to end financing, where she has represented both borrowers and lenders.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised and acted for Microsoft Payments (Malaysia) Sdn. Bhd. ("MPMSB"), a wholly owned subsidiary of Microsoft Corporation in relation to the acquisition of a registered lease over a leasehold land owned by the Federal Land Commissioner, Malaysia ("FLC Land") for the purpose of setting up its data centre in Sedenak, State of Johor Darul Takzim, Malaysia. We also acted for MPMSB in respect of its collaboration with Keppel DC Malaysia 1 Sdn. Bhd. to construct and complete the data centre on part of the FLC Land measuring approximately 14.164 hectares in area in 2018.
- Advised and acted for Sime Darby Elmina Development Sdn. Bhd., a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sime Darby Property Berhad, in relation to its disposal of an approximately 135 acres of freehold land in Elmina West, part of the larger 5,000 acres City Of Elmina which will be developed into a wellness and liveable city, to a subsidiary of Eastern & Oriental Berhad for RM239.8 million in year 2014.
- Advised and acted for the Royal Group of Companies in Singapore for the acquisition of a five star hotel known as "DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Kuala Lumpur" which forms part of the mixed integrated Intermark development in Jalan Ampang, Kuala Lumpur in year 2015.
- Advised and acted for Putrajaya Ventures Sdn. Bhd., a wholly owned subsidiary of Putrajaya Holdings Sdn. Bhd., in respect of its acquisition of all three (3) pieces of lands together with buildings erected thereon located in Jalan Ampang, from the French State represented by the French Ambassador in Malaysia in year 2015.
- Advised and acted for KLIFD Sdn. Bhd., an indirect subsidiary of Ministry of Finance, Malaysia, the master developer of Tun Razak Exchange, in respect of its disposal of a parcel of freehold land measuring approximately 54,266 square metres to Affin Bank Berhad for its proposed development of its new office building as its new headquarters within Tun Razak Exchange in year 2015.
- Advised and acted for KLIFD Sdn. Bhd., an indirect subsidiary of Ministry of Finance, Malaysia, the master developer of Tun Razak Exchange, in respect of its disposal of a parcel of freehold land to HSBC Bank Malaysia Berhad for its new headquarters in 2017.
- Advised and acted for Expert Rewards Sdn. Bhd., a related company of the Royal Group of Companies in Singapore for its acquisition of a twenty two (22) storey office building with three (3) basement levels of car parking bays with gross area of approximately 342,145 square feet, identified as Wisma KFC located at Jalan Sultan Ismail, Kuala Lumpur from the Employees' Provident Fund of Malaysia.
- Advised and acted for a subsidiary of UEM Sunrise Berhad for the acquisition of a theme park building measuring 64,379 sq ft lettable area and retail space of 146,864 sq ft in Somerset and Marina Walk Puteri Harbour, for RM145 million from Khazanah-owned Themed Attractions Resort & Hotels Sdn. Bhd. (TAR&H) in 2019.
- Advised and acted for TRX City Sdn. Bhd., an indirect subsidiary of Ministry of Finance, Malaysia ("TRXC") on the joint venture between TRXC and Lend Lease Group of Australia in respect of the joint venture arrangement to develop the Lifestyle Quarter, mixed development comprising retail, residential and hotel component, within the "Tun Razak Exchange" including the disposal of lands to the Joint Venture Vehicle for the purpose of the joint venture.
- Advised and acted for Damai City Sdn. Bhd., being the developer of a mixed development known as "8 Conlay", located at Jalan Conlay, Kuala Lumpur comprising a five-star Kempinski Hotel, premium lifestyle retail quarters and branded residences in respect of the sale of its branded residences.
- Acted for TTDI KL Metropolis Sdn. Bhd. ("Naza"), a wholly-owned subsidiary of NAZA TTDI Sdn. Bhd. and the master developer of KL Metropolis, a proposed new cultural and exhibition hub for Kuala Lumpur conceptualised as a 21st century commercial business district, on the joint venture arrangement between Naza and Hap Seng Land Development Sdn. Bhd. ("Hap Seng") to develop and complete a mixed commercial development with a gross development value of RM3.8bil on a 8.95 acres land within KL Metropolis in year 2016.
- Advised and acted for UEM Sunrise Berhad in respect of the restructuring and downsizing of its high-end residential resort and beach club development in Desaru, Johor which was part of the joint venture arrangement with Khazanah-owned Themed Attractions Resort & Hotels Sdn. Bhd. (TAR&H).
- Band 1 for Real Estate, Chambers Asia Pacfic (2021)
- Leading Individual for Real Estate, Legal 500 - Asia Pacific (2020)
- Distinguished Practitioner for Real Estate by Asialaw Profiles and Leading Lawyers 2021 Edition
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Malaysian Bar
- Bar of England and Wales
- Middle Temple
- Malaysia (1998)
- England & Wales (1998)
- University of Birmingham (LLB (Hons))
- Bahasa Malaysia