Akifusa Takada is a partner of the Firm’s Corporate/M&A Group, and is currently the Co-Managing Partner in the Tokyo office. He is a seasoned practitioner with many years of experience in domestic and cross-border M&A transactions, reorganization transactions and securities transactions. Akifusa has also worked extensively on general corporate matters, including corporate governance and compliance, and his time at the Firm's Chicago office has left him well-versed in US M&A and securities law practice. He regularly provides lectures to clients on key issues involving corporate law, M&A and the Japanese Financial Instruments and Exchange Law. Honors he has received include being named a Leading Lawyer by Chambers Asia Corporate/M&A: Domestic (2021) and IFLR (2020). He also won “Dealmaker of the Year” at the 2019 ALB Japan Law Awards.
Representative Legal Matters
- Represented a leading Japanese electronics company in its acquisition of the global power grid business from an European electronics company.
- Represented Konica Minolta in its acquisition of Ambry Genetics, a US genetic testing company, with Innovation Network Company of Japan as its co-investor for consideration of up to USD 1 billion (including potential earn-outs) (awarded “Deal of the Year (Mid-Size)” at the 2018 ALB Japan Law Awards).
- Represented Sumitomo Mitsui Finance & Leasing in its acquisition of the Japanese leasing business of General Electric Company for JPY 575 billion.
- Represented a leading US medical device company in multiple divestitures of its Japan businesses.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- New York State Bar Association - Member
- Tokyo Bar Association - Member
- New York~United States (2006)
- Japan (2000)
- Harvard Law School (LLM) (2005)
- The University of Tokyo (LLB) (1997)
Co-author, “Disclosures concerning Tender Offers,” Commentary on the Financial Instruments and Exchange Act, Volume 1, Chapter 2-2, Kinzai, April 2011
Cross-border M&A, Chuokeizai-Sha, July 2008