Dhiraphol Suwanprateep is a partner in Baker McKenzie's Bangkok office, where he is head of the IT/Communications Practice Group and co-head of the Intellectual Property Practice Group.
Dhiraphol advises clients on government initiatives, particularly Thailand's Digital Economy Initiative which promotes the local ITC sector through strategies aimed at developing related infrastructure, accelerating innovation, and transforming the country's economy into one that is based on digital technologies. His work also involves advising on the amended Computer Crime Act which increases penalties for cyber crimes.
He is also a regular commentator and contributor to local, regional and global media on the government's proposed initiatives and frequently participates in local community engagements throughout the country.
Dhiraphol joined Baker McKenzie in 1987 and became a partner in 1992.
Dhiraphol has considerable knowledge in e-commerce and telecommunications law, particularly the rules on online business operations related to advertising, cloud computing, consumer protection, data management, data privacy, cybersecurity, technology procurement, IT transactions, outsourcing, and regulatory issues. He regularly advises on compliance with regulatory requirements when information is stored or processed in the cloud and transferred to users.
With reference to telecommunications law, Dhiraphol is involved in matters pertaining to regulatory frameworks, negotiating and drafting of commercial contracts for the provision of telecoms services, telecoms infrastructure agreements, concession agreements, and software licensing.
Dhiraphol represents business and institutional clients in intellectual property law matters including copyright, patents, trade names, trade secrets, know-how and IP protection. He is involved in licensing, franchising and distribution law, and also handles difficult-to-register marks in Thailand.
- Ranked a Band 1 individual in the area of Technology, Media, Telecoms (TMT) by Chambers Asia-Pacific, 2013-2016
- Named a Leading Individual in the area of Technology, Media, Telecoms (TMT) by Asia-Pacific Legal 500, 2009-2016
- Named a Leading Individual in the area of Intellectual Property by Asia-Pacific Legal 500, 2009-2016
- Received a Gold ranking in Thailand for Prosecution & Strategy by World Trademark Review (WTR)1000, 2016-2017
- Named as one of Thailand's IP Stars by Managing Intellectual Property, 2014-2016
- Named as one of Thailand's IP Experts for IT & Telecoms and Licensing & Franchising by Asia IP Profiles, 2015
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Intellectual Property Association of Thailand
- Thai Bar Association
- Law Society of Thailand
- Thailand (1980)
- Howard University (M.C.J.) (1985)
- Institute of Legal Education (Barrister-at-Law) (1985)
- Thammasat University (LL.B.) (1980)