Dhiraphol Suwanprateep is of counsel for Intellectual Property and Technology at Baker McKenzie's Bangkok office. He joined the Firm in 1987 and became a principal in 1997. On June 30, 2022, he stepped down as principal of the Intellectual Property and Technology Practice Group in the Firm's Bangkok office, a position he held for the past 25 years. Dhiraphol is highly renowned in Thailand's legal landscape and has consistently been ranked at the top of numerous award directories and publications. He was inducted into the Legal 500's Hall of Fame for both IP and TMT and received recognition as a Leading Individual on 12 occasions from 2008-2020. He has also been ranked in the top band for his work in TMT by Chambers Asia Pacific (2015-2022); was named an IP Expert by Asia IP Law (2021); and has made numerous Top 100 and Top 50 Thailand Lawyer lists such as, among others, for Asian Legal Business and Asian Business Law Journal.
Chambers Asia Pacific, 2022 has this to say: "Dhiraphol Suwanprateep is well respected for his knowledge across TMT, especially IT and data protection issues, as well as cybersecurity. Also well versed in telecommunications licensing matters, he represents a host of leading Thai and global corporates from numerous sectors. A source says: "I particularly like the fact that he proactively reaches out to me if something is happening in Thailand that I should be aware of." [He] often acts for leading Thai and international corporates on trade mark filing and disputes. He has considerable expertise relating to the IT sector."
The Legal 500 Asia Pacific, 2021 commends, "Dhiraphol co-heads the team and advises on trade names, trade secrets and franchising in addition to trademark protection matters. His main area of expertise is the telecoms sector. He can guide tech and telecoms clients through regulatory regimes including those relating to data security."
Dhiraphol consults on multinational technology, digital services and e-commerce, digital ID, 3D printing technology, artificial intelligence (AI), digital platforms, cloud computing, fintech, blockchain, Computer Crime Act and data protection laws, including the Thai Personal Data Protection Act (PDPA) and the EU's General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). He has extensive experience in performing data readiness assessments, which includes conducting gap analyses, issuing reports, and making recommendations for clients to become PDPA compliant.
Dhiraphol's ability to handle complex IP matters related to copyrights, patents and trademarks is well known. He has managed trademark portfolios for some of the most recognizable brands in the world. Dhiraphol is a regular commentator and contributor to local, regional, and global media regarding the Thai government's proposed initiatives and he frequently participates in local community events throughout the country.
- Inducted into the Hall of Fame in the fields of Intellectual Property and Technology, Media & Telecom by The Legal 500, 2021
- Band 1 individual in Technology, Media, Telecoms (TMT), Chambers Asia Pacific, 2015-2022
- Band 2 individual in Intellectual Property, Chambers Asia Pacific, 2015-2022
- Named one of Thailand's Top 100 Lawyers in Intellectual Property by Thailand's Top 100 Lawyers, 2021
- Named as an "IP Expert" by Asia IP Law, 2021
- Named on the A-List of Thailand s Top 100 Lawyers by Asia Business Law Journal, 2021
- Named as one of the Super 50 TMT Lawyers by Asian Legal Business, 2021
- Named as a Commended External Counsel 2020 by the In-House Community Counsels, 2020
- Leading Individual in Technology, Media, Telecoms (TMT), The Asia Pacific Legal 500, 2012-2020
- Leading Individual in Intellectual Property, The Asia Pacific Legal 500, 2008-2010, 2012-2020
- Named a Leader by the World Intellectual Property Review (WIPR), 2020
- Named as one of Thailand's Tier 1 "IP Stars" for Trademark Prosecution & Contentious, by Managing Intellectual Property, 2014-2019 & 2021
- Received a gold rating in the area of prosecution and strategy, World Trademark Review WTR1000, 2016-2021
- Leading Lawyer in Intellectual Property, Chambers Asia Pacific, ("very responsive and committed."), 2014
- Leading Individual in Prosecution and strategy, The World's Leading Trademark Professionals, 2013-2014
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Intellectual Property Association of Thailand
- Thai Bar Association
- Law Society of Thailand
- Thailand (1980)
- Howard University (M.C.J.) (1985)
- Institute of Legal Education (Barrister-at-Law) (1985)
- Thammasat University (LL.B.) (1980)
Dhiraphol has authored a number of articles on NFTs, 3D Printing Technology, Blockchain, Communications, Data Protection, E-Commerce, Information Technology, Copyright Infringement, Computer-related Crime, the Patent Cooperation Treaty (PCT), Parallel Import, Thai Intellectual Property Law, Intellectual Property Infringement, Petty Patents, and Border Control, many of which have appeared in leading local publications such as The Nation, the Bangkok Post, and Krungthep Turakij, as well as the Court of Justice Journal.
He has delivered numerous presentations to a variety of groups on intellectual property and technology-related issues, including the United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (UNESCAP), the Japan Patent Office (JPO), and the Central Intellectual Property and International Trade Court of Thailand (IP & IT Court). He further leads customized training and instruction seminars for private companies.
Dhiraphol continues to serve as a regular speaker at both public and private functions for a variety of audiences, on topics including data protection, both under Thailand s PDPA and the EU s GDPR; e-commerce; information technology; computer crime; motion picture piracy; blockchain; cloud computing; franchising; trademarks; copyright; and the effects of Free Trade Agreements on IP.