Abe Sun is a local principal in Baker McKenzie Wong & Leow. With over eight years of legal experience as a patent lawyer and over ten years of technical experience as an engineer, Abe provides practical legal and technology-specific advice on a range of IP issues and highly complex technologies. His main areas of practice include patents, trade secrets, and transactional IP for both international and domestic clients. He regularly performs patent specification drafting, provides various legal opinions, and prosecutes patent applications in various jurisdictions, including the US, Europe and Asia.
Abe advises clients on a variety of technologies and industries, including computer hardware, computer software, e-commerce, open source, business methods, networks, IT technologies, telecommunications, semiconductor devices, semiconductor fabrication, electrical circuits, electronics, optics, stereoscopic/autostereoscopic technology, mechanical, robotics, manufacturing, control systems, alarm management systems, aerospace, automotive, chemical, petrochemicals, exploration, regenerative/clean energy, pharmaceutical, medical technology (including medical devices, surgical robotics, and surgical implants), and nano-technology.
Abe provides substantive legal and technical advice on patent prosecution, patentability, validity, infringement, freedom to operate (FTO), patent landscapes, IP due diligence and highly complex technologies. He has an impeccable record in patent, trade secret and copyright infringement litigation cases before the Thai IP Court. He has also testified as an expert technical and legal witness in several landmark and high-profile cases.
He also provides strategic, procedural and practical advice on how and where to best pursue IP protection, management of IP, and how to do so in the most effective and cost-efficient manner. Abe's practice further includes commercial and transactional IP matters, IP licensing, IP assignments and ownership transfers, research and development agreements, confidentiality, non-competition, software and hardware development, and open source software-related agreements.
Representative Legal Matters
- Drafted patent specifications, provided advice on filing strategies, and performed substantive patent prosecution of patent applications for several petroleum, petrochemical and exploration companies.
- Drafted patent specifications and performed substantive patent prosecution before the US Patent Office and patent offices of other jurisdictions for a global semiconductor leader based in Taiwan.
- Drafted patent specifications and performed substantive patent prosecution before the European Patent Office and patent offices of other jurisdictions for a leading medical technology company based in Hong Kong in respect to surgical robotic technology.
- Drafted patent specifications for several bio-tech and medical device companies based in the US and China.
- Drafted patent specifications and performed substantive patent prosecution before the US Patent Office and patent offices of other jurisdictions for several leading computer hardware and software companies based in the US, Japan and Thailand.
Litigation and enforcement
- Advised a European-based mobile software provider pertaining to patent infringement in the US.
- Advised a leading Japanese software company pertaining to infringement of a highly complex computer hardware and software-related patent in the US.
- Advised a global computer hardware and software leader in a civil IP infringement case in Thailand involving software applications.
Commercial and transactional
- Advised on a multifaceted and multijurisdictional transaction with a significant focus on highly complex IP and technology.
- Advised a leading petrochemicals company regarding various legal and technology issues in a commercial IP transaction with a foreign manufacturer, including potential breach by the foreign manufacturer.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Asian Patent Attorneys Association (APPA) - Member
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers - Member
- Law Society of Upper Canada - Member
- Intellectual Property Association of Thailand - Member
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office~United States (2011)
- Ontario~Canada (2008)
- Rochester Institute of Technology (Post Graduate Studies Electrical Engineering)
- Notary Public (2008)
- University of Western Ontario (J.D.) (2007)
- University of Toronto, Faculty of Applied Science and Engineering (B.Sc. Electrical Engineering) (1997)