Abe is a partner in our Singapore office. His main areas of practice include patents, trade secrets, copyright, and transactional IP for international and domestic clients. With over nine years of legal experience as a lawyer and over ten years of technical experience as an engineer in the US and Canada, Abe is able to provide commercially oriented legal and technology-specific advice on a wide range of IP issues. Before joining our Singapore office in 2016, Abe was a member of our Baker McKenzie offices in the US (where he passed the US patent bar examination and qualified as a US Registered Patent Attorney (limited recognition)) and Thailand.
Abe provides substantive legal and technology-specific advice on the entire life cycle of patents, including patent prosecution, patentability, validity, infringement, freedom to operate (FTO) and due diligence. On the prosecution side, Abe regularly drafts patent specifications, provides various legal opinions, performs IP due diligence, and prosecutes patent applications in various jurisdictions, including the US, Canada, Singapore and other countries. He also provides strategic, tailored and practical advice on how and where to best pursue IP protection and best practices for IP management, policies and playbooks. Abe has a particular passion for highly complex technologies. On the contentious side, Abe has an impeccable record in patent, trade secret and copyright infringement cases.
Abe's practice further includes commercial and transactional IP matters, including IP licensing, IP assignments and ownership transfers, research and development agreements, confidentiality, non-competition, software and hardware development, and open-source software-related agreements.
Abe advises clients on a variety of technologies and industries, including those pertaining to computer hardware and software, e-commerce, open source, business methods, fintech, insurtech, healthtech, location-based technologies, artificial intelligence (AI), distributed ledger technology (DLT)/blockchain, cryptocurrencies, healthcare technologies and regulations, biomedical technologies (including biomedical devices, surgical robotics, and surgical implants), networks, IT-related technologies, telecom, semiconductor devices and fabrication, data storage technologies, electronics, optics, stereoscopic and autostereoscopic technologies, robotics, control systems, aerospace, automotive and other land-based transportation technologies, regenerative and clean energy technologies and nanotechnology.
- The Legal 500 (2020) - "Abe Sun is 'an exceptional patent lawyer' with 'strong experience in the technology industry'"; "Abe Sun is one of the best patent strategists regionally"; "Abe Sun is incredibly thorough in his explanations and is very business oriented"; " Abe Sun is an exceptional patent lawyer who has strong experience in the technology industry. He has very good communication skills and can work very well with the internal team to prepare the patent registration." (Ranked)
- Intellectual Asset Management (IAM) Patent 1000 (2019) (Ranked for "Patent Prosecution")
- Intellectual Asset Management (IAM) Patent 1000 (2019) (Ranked for "Patent Transactions")
- Intellectual Asset Management (IAM) Patent 1000 (2019) - "All-sector pro Abe Sun garners the most effusive market praise . . . you'd be hard pressed to find another patent lawyer in Asia with technical expertise and patent experience remotely comparable . . . takes a holistic approach and offers pragmatic, commercial strategies . . . strongly recommend Abe for all patent matters, especially those pertaining to highly complex technologies."
- The Legal 500 (2019) - "Abe Sun is a key name for patent work and is highly recommended . . . for his engineering background which is invaluable for complex patent applications."
- Intellectual Asset Management (IAM) Patent 1000 (2018) (Ranked)
- Intellectual Asset Management (IAM) Patent 1000 (2018) - "With his deep understanding of complex technologies, Sun has obtained patents for our most valuable and important inventions…[he] distinguishes himself through his commercially oriented, tailored solutions"
- Managing Intellectual Property - IP Star (2018) - "Sun has experience as both a patent lawyer and an engineer. Sun performs patent specification drafting, provides legal advice and prosecutes patent applications for clients in the IT, telecommunications, and pharmaceutical industries."
- Intellectual Asset Management (IAM) Patent 1000 (2017) (Ranked)
- Intellectual Asset Management (IAM) Patent 1000 (2016) (Ranked)
- Managing Intellectual Property - Patent Star (2016) (Ranked)
- Managing Intellectual Property - IP Star (2015) (Ranked)
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Association of Singapore Patent Attorneys (ASPA)
- Asian Patent Attorneys Association (APAA)
- Intellectual Property Association of Thailand (IPAT)
- Law Society of Ontario
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office~United States
- Singapore (Registered Foreign Lawyer)~Singapore
- Rochester Institute of Technology (Post Graduate Studies Electrical Engineering)
- Notary Public
- University of Western Ontario (J.D.)
- University of Toronto, Faculty of Applied Science and Engineering (B.Sc. Electrical Engineering)