Philippe Steffens is head of Baker McKenzie’s Amsterdam Banking & Finance practice, and is a member of the European Structured Capital Markets Steering Committee and the European Banking & Finance Steering Committee. He has been consistently recognized as a leading lawyer for securitization and structured finance in Chambers Global, Chambers Europe, the Legal 500 and IFLR. Philippe joined the Amsterdam office as a partner in 2006. His clients are mainly investment banks, financial institutions, asset managers and investment firms.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised German bank Maple Bank on establishing a Dutch residential mortgage loan platform with a view to future securitization take-outs.
- Advised Credit Suisse Securities (Europe) Ltd as arranger of the landmark EUR 300 million Cairn CLO III B.V. transaction with Cairn Capital Ltd as collateral manager. This was the first European CLO since the financial crisis.
- Advised multi-metals business Nyrstar on a EUR600 million comprehensive strategic financing package.
- Acted as transaction counsel on the first Dutch consumer loan securitization of Santander Consumer Finance Benelux B.V., with SCF Benelux B.V. as originator of consumer loans to Dutch individuals, and Santander Global Banking & Markets as co-arranger.
- Acted for Natixis as arranger, underwriter and senior investor in a EUR 250 million Dutch consumer loan warehousing facility for a foreign investor.
- Advised Stichting Note Trustee Opera Finance (Uni-Invest) as note trustee with respect to restructuring, enforcement and representation before the Dutch court in relation to a Dutch CMBS transaction.
- Represented Novapars Capital on its acquisition of the German loan portfolio and servicing operations of bankrupt Dutch bank DSB.
- Advised Dealers Financierings Maatschappij (DFM), a Dutch joint venture of Volkswagen, on the establishment of a EUR 785 million Dutch vehicle loans backed securitization programme.
- Advised Credit Suisse, Crédit Agricole and NIBC Bank N.V. as joint lead managers of the EUR 750 million Dutch RMBS transaction “Dutch MBS XV”.
- Advised Nomura on the structuring and placement of EUR 100 million registered covered bonds issued by ABN AMRO Bank N.V.
- Leading lawyer for capital markets (securitization), Chambers Global and Chambers Europe, 2009-2015
- Leading lawyer for asset finance & structured finance, and banking & finance, Legal 500, 2010-2015
- Leading lawyer for capital markets (structured finance & securitisation), and bank lending, IFLR 1000, 2010--2015
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Dutch Bar Association (Nederlandse Orde van Advocaten) - Member
- Dutch Tax Advisers Association - Member
- Law Society of England & Wales - Member
- England & Wales~United Kingdom (2002)
- Amsterdam~Netherlands (1996)
- New York University School of Law (LL.M. Taxation)
- University of Leiden (Law Degree)