Dr. Peter Stankewitsch is a disputes lawyer in the Firm’s Frankfurt office. His practice includes insurance regulatory matters and product recalls. He is a graduate of the University of Heidelberg, where he also received a doctoral degree (s.c.l.) and was admitted to the German bar in 1995. From 2003 to 2005, Dr. Stankewitsch worked at Baker McKenzie’s Moscow office and since then, he has advised clients on Russian-German matters. Dr. Stankewitsch is ranked as a leading practitioner in PLC’s Insurance and Reinsurance Handbooks ever since the year 2010. He is named as one of "Germany’s Best Lawyers" in the area of insurance published by Handelsblatt / Best Lawyers ever since 2013.
Representative Legal Matters
- Assisted a logistics company in an international dispute for over EUR50 million with its customer and supplier about a total breakdown of a building in Russia.
- Advised a leading US manufacturer of consumer products on an ongoing basis regarding the implementation of worldwide recalls in Germany.
- Represented a company engaged in the chemical industry in a dispute over one of the largest fires in an industrial plant in post-war Germany.
- Assisted the manufacturer of consumer products in the e-discovery carried out in Germany in one of the largest recent US product liability class actions.
- Advised several German and foreign companies in connection with damage claims triggered by price cartels and ensuing recourse actions.
- Represented a manufacturer of IT components in the litigation about the delivery and exchange of over 100,000 components due to an alleged product defect.
- Represented a manufacturer of medical products in a major litigation against its supplier about the costs of a worldwide recall.
- Advised an international group of companies with regard to potential claims against its management under a global D&O policy.
- Advised a foreign insurance intermediary on an ongoing basis on insurance regulatory and contract matters.
- Advised a major reinsurer about the insurance regulatory framework for the design of a new life insurance product.
- Best Lawyers in Germany 2019 for insurance law, Handelsblatt in cooperation with Best Lawyers, 2019
- Germany (1995)
- Ruperto Carola-University of Heidelberg (Doctorate) (2002)
- Ruperto Carola-University of Heidelberg (2000)
- Oberlandesgericht Karlsruhe (Assessor Exam) (1995)
Co-author, “Kartellbrüder haften auch indirekten Opfern für überhöhte Preise,” Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung, July 2011
Presenter, “Private Competition Litigation – the Strategy Process,” European Competition Law Update, Amsterdam, June 2011
Presenter, “Competition Litigation Workshop,” ACCE Seminar, Düsseldorf, May 2011
Speaker, “Антикоррупционное законодательство Германии,” Federal Antimonopoly Service of the Russian Federation (FAS), Moscow, January 2011
Author, “Wird der lange Arm der US-Justiz noch länger?,” Platow Recht No. 146, December 2010