Marcos Spanos is a senior associate in Baker McKenzie's Dubai office. He is qualified in England and Wales and has worked in London and Dubai.
Marcos is a corporate lawyer with a focus on mergers and acquisitions, private equity and joint ventures. He has advised financial institutions, conglomerates, private equity firms and funds in connection with cross-border transactions in sectors ranging from technology and healthcare to energy and infrastructure.
Representative Legal Matters
- Acted for the seller on the sale of Nurai Island Resort, Abu Dhabi to Aldar Properties.
- Acted for the buyer on a bid for the acquisition of the Barr Al Jissah Resort in Oman.
- Advised Ghassan Aboud Group on a partnership agreement with AD Ports Group on the development of one of the region’s largest food trading and logistics centers in Abu Dhabi.
- Acted as legal counsel to ETC Group (ETG) on an agreement whereby SABIC Agri-Nutrients Company (SABIC AN), a public joint-stock company owned 50.1% by SABIC and a global leader in the fertilizers industry, will acquire a 49% stake in ETG Inputs Holdco Limited (EIHL).
- Advised Gulf Marketing Group on the acquisition of the Geant, Monoprix and Franprix franchise from Dubai Holding and Meraas.
- Advised Gulf Marketing Group on the acquisition of Royal Sporting House's (RSH) sports retail business in Singapore, Malaysia, and Hong Kong together with operations in the UAE, Egypt and Qatar, from Al Futtaim Group.
- Advising IQVIA, a leading global provider of data and technology solutions for the healthcare industry, on the acquisition of a healthcare technology business in Asia and the Middle East.
- Acting for the sellers in the acquisition by Gulf Japan Food Fund, a private equity fund backed by Mizuho Bank and The Norinchukin Bank, of a controlling stake in Country Hill International, a UAE-based supplier of premium protein products.
- Secondment to the M&A team of Smith & Nephew, a FTSE 100 medical device company. Advising on several cross-border health technology M&A mandates, including the following:
- Advising on the sale of Smith & Nephew's Truclear business for USD 350 million to Medtronic.
- Investment in, and distribution arrangements with Leaf Healthcare, a US-based wireless patient monitoring solution for healthcare providers (which has subsequently been acquired by Smith & Nephew).
- Advising on Smith & Nephew’s participation in an investment round in OrthoSpace, the producer of InSpace, a biodegradable orthopedic balloon, alongside Healthpoint Capital and Triventures (which has subsequently been sold to Stryker for USD 220 million).
- Acting for the founder of a security technology company on the disposal of his equity to a US venture capital fund.
- England & Wales (Solicitor)~United Kingdom (2010)
- Dubai - Registered Legal Consultant
- College of Law (LPC) (2006)
- Brunel University (LLB) (2005)
- Concordia University (BA) (2002)
Baker & McKenzie LLP