Felipe Soza is a member of the Dispute Resolution Practice Group in the Santiago office. He joined Baker McKenzie as legal researcher in 2015 and was later promoted to associate.
Mr. Soza is a lecturer in both constitutional and commercial law at the Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile, where he earned his LL.B. He is also an independent researcher in International Human Rights Law.
Mr. Soza focuses on litigation and arbitration, with particular emphasis on the areas of public, civil and commercial law. He has extensive experience in public contracting and procurement, public works concession agreements, constitutional actions, as well as administrative sanctioning procedures and requests in a wide range of regulated markets. He also regularly advises clients in relation to international investment disputes with the state.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advising large multinationals in the construction, healthcare and financial sectors in their disputes with the State of Chile, governed by the dispute resolution procedures set forth in the international investment treaties existent with the United States, the United Kingdom and Italy.
- Represented a French IT company in an ICC international arbitration procedure against a Mexican nongovernment organization regarding the breach of a partnership agreement.
- Represented a Pension Fund Administrator (AFP) with regard to the imposition of illegal sanctions and orders by the Superintendence of Pensions, Chile’s statutory body in the field.
- Represented a US-based management consulting firm in an arbitration with a Chilean retailer arising from breaches of a commercial agreement.
- Participated in the defense of H.E. the President of the Republic and the Senate in landmark cases before Chile’s Constitutional Court.
- Participated in the representation of an Italian construction company in a domestic arbitration regarding the breach of an EPC contract (USD 180 million).
- Participated in the representation of a company in a landmark case before the Supreme Court that eventually led to the downfall of a long-lasting state monopoly in postal services.
- Honors Admission, School of Law, Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile
- First Prize in the Latin American Human Rights & Constitutional Law Competition
- Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile (LLB)
Baker & McKenzie Ltda. is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.