Joyce Smith is a partner in the San Francisco office and chair of the San Francisco/Palo Alto International Commercial Practice Group. She also sits on the Firm’s Global Information Technology & Communications Steering Committee and serves as chair of the San Francisco/Palo Alto Diversity and Inclusion Committee as well as the San Francisco/Palo Alto representative on the North America Diversity and Inclusion Committee. Ms. Smith began her career with Baker McKenzie as an international clerk working in the Firm’s Amsterdam office in 1992. She joined the San Francisco/Palo Alto office in 1993 and became a partner in 2010. She was recently named one of The Recorder’s 2014 Women Leaders in Tech Law.
Joyce’s practice focuses on advising multinational companies on cross-border commercial transactions, IP and technology licensing, development and acquisitions, IP migrations for post-acquisition integrations and international tax reorganizations, implementation of international tax restructurings, FCPA compliance and due diligence, and other cross-border regulatory, compliance and commercial issues. She has represented clients ranging from start-ups to large multinational corporations in a variety of industries with a focus on technology, ecommerce and pharmaceuticals.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- National Bar Association - Member
- California State Bar Association - International Law Section
- District of Columbia Bar - Member
- California Minority Counsel Program - Member
- District of Columbia~United States (1996)
- California~United States (1993)
- University of California at Berkeley (Boalt Hall) (J.D.) (1993)
- Georgetown University (B.S./B.A. cum laude) (1988)
- Nijenrode University in Amsterdam (International Business and Economics) (1986)
Baker & McKenzie LLP is a Limited Liability Partnership organized under the laws of the State of Illinois (USA) and is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Verein organized under the laws of Switzerland.