Joyce Smith is a partner in the San Francisco office and chair of the California International Commercial Practice Group. Joyce leads the Firm's Global IP Transactions and Tax Practice, chairs the Firm's North American International Commercial Practice Steering Committee and serves as the California Offices representative on the North America Diversity and Inclusion Committee.
Joyce's practice focuses on advising multinational companies on cross-border commercial transactions, IP and technology licensing, development and acquisitions, IP migrations for post-acquisition integrations and international tax reorganizations, implementation of international tax restructurings, FCPA compliance and due diligence, and other cross-border regulatory, compliance and commercial issues. She has represented clients ranging from start-ups to large multinational corporations in a variety of industries with a focus on technology, e- commerce and pharmaceuticals.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- National Bar Association - Member
- California State Bar Association - International Law Section
- District of Columbia Bar - Member
- California Minority Counsel Program - Member
- District of Columbia~United States (1996)
- California~United States (1993)
- University of California, Berkeley School of Law (J.D.) (1993)
- Georgetown University (B.S./B.A. cum laude) (1988)
- Nijenrode University in Amsterdam (International Business and Economics) (1986)