Jef Slootmans is a senior counsel in the Employment Practice Group in the Brussels office. He joined Baker McKenzie in 1978. He is a former managing partner of the Brussels office and has over 40 years of employment litigation experience. He has been mentioned consistently as a leading lawyer in publications such as Chambers, The European Legal 500 and Expert Guides. He has also been endorsed as a leading dispute resolution lawyer in PLC and mentioned as a leading litigation lawyer in Expert Guides.
Jef advises employers on individual (hiring/termination) and collective employment matters (restructurings/collective bargaining agreements). He has guided several global companies through restructuring processes.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Brussels Bar (Flemish Section) - President (2006-2008)
- Brussels Bar Council - Member (1992-1995; 2006-2009)
- Disciplinary Board of Appeal, Brussels legal district - Member (2002-2006)
- Flemish Bar Association, General Meeting and Commission on business law firms - Member (2006-2014; 2016-2017)
- Belgian Group of the International League of Competition Law - Member
- Association for Labour Law Practitioners VZW (Vereniging van Praktijkjuristen in Sociaal Recht VZW) - Member
- University of Brussels Law School - Teaching assistant Economic and Financial law (1978-1993)
- Brussels Bar Trainee School - Lecturer on organisation of a law office
- Brussels~Belgium (1978)
- University of Michigan (M.C.L.) (1976)
- University of Brussels (Law (magna cum laude)) (1975)
- Author, "The Attorney in Parliament - Section Ethical Questions: Secondment," Congress Flemish Bar Association.
- Author, "Law and Humour," Poelaertplein 2007, no. 2.
- Contributor, "Tijdschrift voor Rechtsdocumentatie," Section Economic Law, Case-law summary periodical, 1980-1992.