Arron Slocombe is a partner in the Firm's Pensions Practice in London and has been advising clients on UK pensions law and related areas since 2002. He is the immediate chair of the Legislation Committee of the Society of Pension Professionals and is a full member of the Association of Pension Lawyers. He is partner and sponsor of our "Baker Opportunity" social mobility focus group. Arron speaks regularly at seminars on various pensions issues and is a regular contributor to a wide range of legal publications related to pensions law.
Arron advises trustees and companies on a broad range of pensions work including pension buyouts and liability management, scheme mergers, benefit and corporate restructurings with particular focus on managing statutory debts, investment issues and hedging arrangements, including longevity and pensions litigation.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advising the trustees of a scheme of a major government outsources service provider in respect of a GBP 700 million longevity insurance-based swap and its subsequent 2017 conversion to a buy-in in the first deal of its kind.
- Advised the first employer to exit the Universities Superannuation Scheme in 2019.
- Advising the trustees of two pension funds of a major bank on all strategic and documentation matters related to scheme mergers, benefit change projects, and several employer withdrawals and related covenant support.
- Advising the trustees through scheme mergers, benefit restructuring projects, liability-driven investment and a secured funding structure.
- Advising a global outsource on its asset-backed funding and liability management exercises; benefit change projects; switches from the RPI to the CPI inflation basis for revaluation and pension increases across several schemes; and funding through group share transfers to a trustee-owned limited partnership.
- Advising on all-risk buy-out, including an innovative approach to securing continued future service accrual.
- Advising on an innovative regulatory-cleared (TPR and PPF) deal to release a subsidiary company's scheme into the PPF, with a segregated top-up arrangement offering mitigation to members and ultimately backed by the members' union after considerable negotiation and PR management.
- Advised the representative beneficiary in the IMG case (2009 to 2012) to the Court of Appeal, involving the challenge to a company's conversion of final salary benefits to money purchase benefits.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Society of Pension Professionals - Legislation Committee
- Pensions and Lifetime Savings Association
- Association of Pension Lawyers
- England & Wales~United Kingdom (2003)
- Oxford Institute of Legal Practice (Diploma Law) (2000)
- University of Bristol (LL.B.) (1999)
Baker & McKenzie LLP, an English partnership, is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.