Arron Slocombe is a partner in the Firm's Pensions Practice in London and has been advising clients on UK pensions law and related areas for 15 years. He is Chair of the Legislation Committee of the Society of Pension Professionals and is a full member of the Association of Pension Lawyers. He is partner and sponsor of our "Baker Opportunity" social mobility focus group. Arron speaks regularly at seminars on various pensions issues and is a regular contributor to a wide range of legal publications related to pensions law.
Arron advises trustees and companies on a broad range of pensions work including pension buyouts and liability management, scheme mergers, benefit and corporate restructurings with particular focus on managing statutory debts, investment issues and pensions litigation.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised the representative beneficiary in the IMG case (2009 to 2012) involving the challenge to a company's conversion of final salary benefits to money purchase benefits.
- Advised on pension longevity swaps and asset-backed lending arrangements.
- Advised on a range of Pensions Regulator clearance applications and anti-avoidance issues, including negotiations with the Pensions Protection Fund on a restructuring and corporate recovery deal, including the BMI case.
- Advising in relation to a series of scheme mergers and a swaps liability hedging programme for the trustees of a leading bank.
- Advised on corporate transactions and reorganisations, outsourcings and refinancings.
- Advised a FTSE 100 company on structuring and implementing a buyout strategy; separately advising a new market entrant on its buyout offering.
- Worked with a number of employers and trustees in restructuring pension schemes and future benefit design changes.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Society of Pension Professionals - Legislation Committee
- Pensions and Lifetime Savings Association
- Association of Pension Lawyers
- England & Wales~United Kingdom (2003)
- Oxford Institute of Legal Practice (Diploma Law) (2000)
- University of Bristol (LL.B.) (1999)
Baker & McKenzie LLP, an English partnership, is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.