Kylie Slambert is an associate in Baker McKenzie's Dispute Resolution Practice Group in Johannesburg.
Kylie joined the Firm in 2021 from a well-known South African firm with a large Africa presence. She assists with regulatory compliance, insolvency, business restructuring and general commercial-related disputes. She also supports the global disputes team in arbitration matters.
Kylie has worked on numerous mediation and arbitration proceedings for large corporations, as well as high court and lower court litigation across multiple commercial sectors, including financial institutions, energy, construction, consumer goods and retail, and pharmaceuticals.
She has acted on investor-state disputes under ICSID, as well as the ICC Arbitration Rules.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised and represented the Rosebank Rotary Club (RRC) on a pro bono basis in a precedent-setting case relating to the conduct of financial service providers and their duty of care to safeguard their clients' finances and protect them against cybercrime. The decision, delivered in the Commercial Court in South Africa, had implications for all accountable financial institutions in South Africa.
- Advised a manufacturer in the consumer and healthcare industry, with a specific focus on marketing and distributing pharmaceutical products and servicing customers worldwide. We advised the company in relation to the termination of a warehousing and distribution agreement following stock losses and poor service delivery on the part of a South African logistics company.
- Advised a national agricultural corporation in relation to issues arising out of their warehousing and logistics agreement and claims against their provider, including recovery of damages for stock losses.
- Advised a UAE-based subsidiary of one of the world's largest international vertically integrated oil and gas companies in respect of a claim for breach of a distribution agreement against a South African company, that provides custom bonded warehousing for liquid bulk storage and bulk minerals and intermodal.
- Advised and represented a JSE-listed retail-led healthcare group and leader in the healthcare market with the largest retail pharmacy chain in South Africa, in claims arising out of certain business interruptions, property damage and other losses against one of the largest insurers in South Africa.
- Advised and represented one of the largest banking and financial services institutions in the world's Johannesburg branch in an executive director appointment AFSA dispute against the South African Reserve Bank Prudential Authority.
- Defended a multinational hospitality company that manages and franchises a broad portfolio of hotels and resorts against an arbitral claim instituted by their landlord to terminate a lease agreement between the parties on the basis that the Covid-19 pandemic and resultant lockdown constituted a vis major that materially impacted the ongoing business of our client.
- Advised and represented one of the world's largest global producers of food convenience products in a claim against a third-party logistics service supplier in respect of various material breaches rendered under a substantial 3PL warehousing contract.
- South Africa (2019)
- University of KwaZulu-Natal (LLB) (2017)