Julia Skubis Weber is a partner in Baker McKenzie’s Global Tax Practice Group in Chicago. She has been advising US, non-US and multinational corporate and pass-through clients on federal income tax planning matters since 2005.
Julia is seasoned in domestic and international tax matters, with emphasis on international tax planning. She routinely advises US multinational and foreign-owned clients on cross-border tax issues, including internal reorganizations, structuring of outbound and inbound investments, foreign tax credits, subpart F, PFICs, withholding and treaty analysis. In addition, she has extensive experience related to mergers and acquisitions, spin-off transactions, joint ventures, private equity funds, and real estate transactions, including the structuring and formation of private investment and real estate funds investing in domestic and offshore assets. Julia works with clients across a broad range of industries, including defense and aerospace, consumer goods, automotive, and pharmaceuticals.
Julia is a frequent speaker on international tax topics and has contributed to Tax Analysts, Corporate Taxation and Tax Executive Magazine. She co-authors International Tax Watch, a bi-monthly column in TAXES The Tax Magazine. Julia also teaches the Controlled Foreign Corporations class as an adjunct professor in the Northwestern University School of Law’s LLM in Taxation Program.
Representative Legal Matters
- Represented US multinational clients in major internal restructurings, including post-acquisition integration and reorganization of foreign subsidiaries.
- Secured an IRS ruling for a US multinational client with respect to cross-border internal spin-offs of two foreign subsidiaries.
- Advised clients on tax-efficient cash repatriation strategies.
- Represented clients in cross-border mergers and acquisitions.
- Illinois~United States (2005)
- University of Michigan Law School (J.D. magna cum laude, Order of the Coif) (2005)
- University of California at Los Angeles (B.A. History) (2001)
- Co-author, "New Final and Proposed Regulations Under Code Sec. 163(j) and Their Application to Controlled Foreign Corporations," International Tax Watch, TAXES, November 2020
- Co-author, Foreign Tax Redeterminations Under Code Sec. 905(c): Timing Is Everything, International Tax Watch, May 2020
- Co-author, Direct, Indirect, or Barely Connected: Rev. Proc. 2019-40 Provides Limited Relief to U.S. Persons Surprised by CFC Ownership, 12 February 2020
- Co-author, The Final and Proposed BEAT Regulations: A Favorable Turn, International Tax Watch, 6 February 2020
- Co-author, Allocating Tax Attributes in Cross-Border Spin-Offs, International Tax Watch, 28 October 2019