Baker & McKenzie Limited Attorneys at Law
Panya joined Baker McKenzie in 2002 and became a Partner in 2012. He is currently a partner in the Tax Practice Group. He is also active in the International Commercial & Trade Practice Group and practices in the customs and supply chain areas in particular.
During his 20 years of practice with the Firm, Panya has been recognized for advising clients on highly complex tax structures, offshore investment, international tax planning, tax disputes, and tax litigation. His practice also includes boutique tax areas, e.g. customs duty, excise tax, and property tax.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advising multinational companies on restructuring, the establishment of regional operating headquarters, and offshore investments.
- Advising manufacturing companies on transfer pricing studies to prepare for new laws in Thailand.
- Advising electronics companies on establishing distribution centers and treasury centers in Thailand.
- Providing tax advice to financial institutions for financial transactions and financial products, e.g. repo transactions and derivatives.
- Advising an automotive parts manufacturing company with transfer pricing, VAT, corporate income tax, secondment issues and providing tax and transfer pricing audit defense strategies.
- Assisting a large automotive company in Thailand by analyzing and assessing customs implications of setting up a legal entity in a customs free zone. Advising on related regulations for calculating the value of the goods as originating materials under the relevant laws and regulations of the customs free zone and several free trade agreements.
- Representing and successfully defending our client in a criminal litigation case in the criminal court over the customs valuation of an engineering fee. The court dismissed all charges against the client.
- Advising clients on valuations, classifications, privileges, and import and export controls, including requests for advanced rulings.
- Providing pre-audit strategic work, i.e. revising internal customs handbooks and document retention policies, and advising on the implications of transfer price adjustments.
- Representing a global restaurant company during a customs audit and successfully litigating the case before the Council of State.
- Band 1 in Tax, Chambers Asia Pacific, 2019-2022
- Leading Individual in Tax, The Legal 500 Asia Pacific, 2018-2022
- Leading Individual in Customs and International Trade, The Legal 500 Asia Pacific, 2020-2022
- Highly Regarded in Tax Controversy, ITR Tax Controversy Leaders Guide, 2013, 2015-2022
- Highly Regarded in Indirect Tax, ITR Indirect Tax Leaders Guide, 2017-2022
- Stand-Out Lawyer, Acritas Sharper Insight, 2018
- Up and Coming, individual award in Tax, Chambers Asia Pacific, 2015
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Thai Bar Association
- Appointed Advisor to the Deputy of the Education Ministry of Thailand (September 2020)
- Tax Sub-Committee, the Excise Tax Sub-Committee, and the Customs Sub-Committee of the Thai Chamber of Commerce (Member, 2010 to present)
- Legal Reform Sub-Committee of the Joint Standing Committee of the Thai Chamber of Commerce, the Federation of Thai Industries, and the Banking Business (Member, 2010 to present)
- Ministry of Finance committee for the development of excise tax collection methods (Member, 2009)
- Thailand (2002)
- Georgetown University (LL.M.) (2008)
- Thammasat University (LL.B., 2nd class honors) (2002)
- Ramkhamhaeng University (B.B.A., Money and Banking) (2002)
Baker & McKenzie Ltd. is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.