Ahmed Shafey is a member of the Firm's Litigation and Government Enforcement Practice Group.
Ahmed is known for his focused and practical advice and has had success at all levels of the Court in Ontario as well as with a number of Boards and Tribunals. He is a frequent contributor to www.canadianfraudlaw.com.
Ahmed maintains a diverse commercial litigation practice, providing advice in the context of contractual disputes, professional liability actions, class actions, shareholder disputes, cyber security/data privacy matters, product liability actions, government procurement litigation, international commercial arbitrations and bankruptcy and insolvency proceedings. Ahmed has also been engaged in a number of civil fraud and asset recovery matters and business crime investigations and has obtained and defended against injunctions in several different contexts, ranging from the urgent recovery of personal property to ex-parte asset freezing orders.
Ahmed is engaged by clients in a wide range of industries to provide advice in relation to cyber security and data privacy related concerns and is actively involved in a number of the Firm's innovations in the practice of law.
Representative Legal Matters
- Obtained interim recovery of personal property owned by the government of Taiwan (See: Knew Order Co. v. 2291995 Ontario Inc.).
- Engaged in a major ongoing international investigation under the Canada Corruption of Foreign Public Officials Act.
- Acts for several Canadian and Global financial institutions in fraud and asset recovery matters.
- Represents a multinational defendant in a USD 9.2 billion securities class action (largest in Canadian history), related Ontario Securities Commission proceeding and various international claims and arbitrations.
- Defending a seismic exploration company in connection with Coasting Trade and intellectual property disputes.
- Represented a green technology company in dispute arising out of provincial government procurement process.
- Helped coordinate several major international product recalls.
- Acts on disputes in the mining sector in both North and Central America, including in connection with several high profile and costly landslides.
- Acts in connection with the enforcement of Canadian product liability judgment in Hong Kong.
- Successfully responded to an injunction motion which sought to enforce various restrictive covenants in employment context (See: Consumer Impact Marketing Ltd. v. Brand Momentum Inc. et. al.).
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Canadian Bar Association - Member
- The Advocates' Society - Member
- Law Society of Ontario - Member
- Ontario~Canada (2007)
- Osgoode Hall Law School (J.D.) (2006)
- University of Toronto (B.A. Honors) (2003)