Ahmed Shafey is a member of the Firm's Litigation and Government Enforcement Practice Group.
Ahmed is known for his focused and practical advice and has had success at all levels of the court in Ontario as well as with a number of Boards and Tribunals and the courts of British Columbia, Alberta and Nova Scotia.
Ahmed maintains a diverse commercial litigation practice, providing advice in the context of contractual disputes, professional liability actions, class actions, shareholder disputes, cyber security/data privacy matters, product liability actions, government procurement litigation, international commercial arbitrations and bankruptcy and insolvency proceedings.
Ahmed has also been retained to act in a number of civil fraud and asset recovery matters and business crime investigations and has obtained and defended against injunctions in several different contexts, ranging from the urgent recovery of personal property to ex-parte asset freezing orders.
Ahmed is engaged by clients in a wide range of industries to provide advice in relation to cyber security and data privacy related concerns and is actively involved in a number of the Firm's innovations in the practice of law.
He is a frequent contributor to Baker McKenzie's Canadian Fraud Law and Global Class and Collective Actions Blogs.
Representative Legal Matters
- Counsel for major Provincial hospital network in connection with alleged Covid-19 related PPE fraud. Obtained international asset freezing order against defendants.
- Counsel on a number of cryptocurrency frauds, including a $20 million matter involving organized crime spanning multiple jurisdictions.
- Acted for a major Canadian University in a judicial review related to its Covid-19 vaccine mandates.
- Acted for client in the interim recovery of personal property owned by the government of Taiwan.
- Engaged in a major international investigations under the Corruption of Foreign Public Officials Act.
- Acts for several Canadian and Global financial institutions in fraud and asset recovery matters.
- Counsel for Safran Landing Systems in litigation involving the alleged breach of a long-term supply contract concerning aircraft parts.
- Represented a multinational defendant in a $9.2 billion securities class action (largest in Canadian history), related Ontario Securities Commission proceeding and various international claims and arbitrations.
- Defending a seismic exploration company in connection with Coasting Trade and intellectual property disputes.
- Represented a green technology company in dispute arising out of a Provincial government procurement process.
- Assisted in coordinating several major international product recalls.
- Counselled defendants in major global price-fixing class actions.
- Counsel for Lawyers Professional Indemnity Company and successfully defended a number of professional negligence claims against lawyers, including claims against current Judges of the Ontario Superior Court.
- Acted on disputes in the mining sector in both North and Central America, including in connection with several high profile and costly landslides.
- Acted in connection with the enforcement of Canadian product liability judgment in Hong Kong.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Canadian Bar Association - Member
- The Advocates' Society - Member
- Law Society of Ontario - Member
- Ontario~Canada (2007)
- Osgoode Hall Law School (J.D.) (2006)
- University of Toronto (B.A., Honors) (2003)
- Co-author, "Cybersecurity Laws and Regulations Report (Canada Chapter)," International Comparative Legal Guides, 2023
- Co-author, "Bribery & Corruption Country Comparative Guides (Canada Chapter)," Legal 500, 2022