Angela Sevenson is a senior associate in the Global Compliance and Australia Dispute Resolution groups. She was admitted in 2002 and joined the Firm in 2004. Her work in purely compliance matters involves prevention, detection and investigation of improper conduct (e.g., corruption or fraud) or non-compliant conduct (e.g., pertaining to sanctions, political contributions or whistle blowing).
Angela frequently advises clients on cross-jurisdictional legal compliance. She performs inward as well as third-party risk assessments, due diligence and internal investigations. She assists clients in responding to regulators, helping them avoid internal resource drain and manage reputational risk. Angela's knowledge of industry best practice means she can recommend appropriate solutions for her clients' business requirements and budget. She tailors compliance processes and training programs to help protect organizations and support their efforts to operate with integrity in Australia and internationally. Her risk and crisis management matters are typically event-related and extend well beyond compliance. They reflect Angela's adaptability as she applies her investigative and evidentiary skills to the crisis, or her assessment and advisory skills to the risk. Her practice spans a range of commerce including the resource, energy, food export, hospitality, retail, banking, transport, manufacturing, defense and telecommunication industries.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised a raw materials mining and manufacturing client on the Australian aspects of a global foreign corrupt practices investigation, working with forensic accountants and colleagues in the United States.
- Advised a defense industry client in relation to whistle blower driven allegations of falsification of records and results.
- Advised an enforcement service provider on sanction breach and operational impropriety.
- Developed manuals and processes for management consultant and technology providers to follow in response to compulsive powers such as search warrants.
- Assisted clients in multiple industries to respond to subpoenas, search warrants and regulators' notices to produce or be examined.
- Created and reviewed codes of conduct, compliance manuals, policies and procedures; localized global or group-wide anti-corruption policies and procedures; completed multijurisdictional surveys and developed local law addendums for clients in multiple industries.
- Assessed a public sector client's departmental risk and exposure to improper behavior in the conduct of overseas activities.
- Conducted due diligence in relation to acquisition corruption prevention, assessment and disclosure of non-compliance, review of transactional documents, compliance warranties, declarations, certificates and indemnities for clients in multiple industries.
- Provided comprehensive advice on scope of anti-corruption laws in the context of global business operations for Australian-based steel, automotive and retail manufacturers.
- Created and reviewed guidelines and procedures, provided event and incident specific advice, and localized global or group-wide policies and procedures; completed multijurisdictional surveys for clients in multiple industries.
- Victoria~Australia (2002)
- Monash University (LL.B.) (2000)
- Monash University (B.A.) (2000)
Baker & McKenzie, an Australian Partnership, is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.