Gary A. Seib
Gary Seib is focused on bringing together global, regional and local teams to deliver commercial success for the Firm’s clients. He passionately believes in simplifying complex legal and business matters. Gary is known for his client-centric approach that drives value and innovation. Gary was described by clients in the Acritas Stars Report as being "knowledgeable, very approachable, friendly."
Gary is ranked as a "Star Lawyer," an "Eminent Practitioner" and leading practitioner in his field by top legal directories, including Chambers Asia, Chambers Global, Asia Pacific Legal 500, IFLR 1000, and “PLC Which Lawyer?” He is one of the first lawyers to be granted “Solicitor Advocate” status before the Hong Kong courts and has extensive experience in alternate dispute resolution techniques, particularly in arbitration and mediation.
Gary practised as a barrister in Australia for over eight years (1996-2004), and returned to Baker McKenzie as a partner in 2004 to lead its Dispute Resolution Group in Hong Kong and China.
Gary also served as the Asia Pacific Chair (2006 - 2009) and Global Chair (2009 - 2014) of the Firm's Dispute Resolution Group, and as Asia Pacific Co-Chair of the Compliance Practice.
From 2014-2018 Gary served on the Firm’s Global Executive, including as Chair, Asia Pacific 2016-2018. His leadership covered 17 offices across 12 countries, overseeing more than 3,500 legal and business professionals in the AP region.
Gary is a commercial disputes professional with over 30 years’ experience. He is a relationship partner for a number of the Firm’s industrials, transportation and TMT key clients.
Representative Legal Matters
- Appearing before the High Court in Hong Kong in a variety of matters including: Appointments of Provisional Liquidators, and Obtaining ex parte injunctive relief, including a novel injunction to restraining the removal of an aircraft engine upon its arrival in Hong Kong.
- Leading numerous arbitrations before HKIAC, ICC and CIETAC involving a range of commercial and construction law disputes, including:
- Acting as Party Counsel in a substantial arbitration arising out of an alleged joint venture in the auto industry and had led the successful defence to a $1.2 billion claim made against our clients;
- Leading the team on behalf of the same client in respect of a series of arbitrations arising out of operational agreements with counter-parties in Russia and pursuing documentary credit claims against a commercial bank in Russia;
- Acting as Party Counsel in a major IT industry ICC arbitration with Favourable Award obtained;
- Advising on an arbitration arising out of structured financing arrangements for substantial equity and debt interests in a failed passenger airline, raising issues of contributions between shareholders;
- Leading and settled a substantial post-acquisition dispute on behalf of the party acquiring its former JV partner’s interests in a substantial internet based business in the People’s Republic of China, and applying New York law; and
- Acting in a number of construction disputes.
- Advising on dispute resolution provisions in the context of commercial and corporate agreements, projects, construction contracts and other commercial agreements.
- Leading the Hong Kong and China aspects of a global compliance investigation for a major multi-national engineering and infrastructure group.
- Conducting numerous internal investigations and compliance programs in China, Hong Kong and throughout the region.
- Leading the contentious insurance team in Hong Kong, including professional indemnity, D&O policy and third party liability portfolios.
- Acting in a number of matters concerning the ownership and management of a major Hong Kong property conglomerate in the context of large probate litigation.
- Representing a multi-national manufacturer of building products in respect of the termination and recovery proceedings against a group of employees and third parties based on employee fraud and diversion of business.
- Ran a full practice at the NSW Bar, both in advisory and advocacy work. Appeared as Counsel in general commercial, insurance and company insolvency matters, at both trial and appellate levels. Mr Seib appeared in the High Court of Australia, Federal Court of Australia, as well as the New South Wales Supreme, Industrial, District and Local Courts, and a variety of Federal and State Commissions and Tribunals including the HIH Royal Commission, in which he represented a number of former officers and employees, including the company’s CEO.
- Star Lawyer (Hong Kong), Acritas Stars Report, 2017 - 2020
- Eminent Practitioner (Dispute Resolution, International Firms), Chambers Asia Pacific, 2015 - 2016
- Eminent Practitioner (Dispute Resolution, International Firms), Chambers Global, 2015 - 2016
- Leading Lawyer (Dispute Resolution, China/Hong Kong), Chambers Asia Pacific, 2009 - 2014
- Leading Lawyer (Dispute Resolution, China/Hong Kong), Chambers Global, 2007 - 2014
- Leading Lawyer (Dispute Resolution: Arbitration, China/Hong Kong), Chambers Asia Pacific, 2013 - 2014
- Leading Lawyer (Financial Services Regulatory, Hong Kong), IFLR 1000, 2015 - 2018
- Leading Lawyer (Restructuring & Insolvency, Hong Kong), IFLR 1000, 2017 - 2018
- Recommended Lawyer (Dispute Resolution: Litigation, Hong Kong), PLC Which Lawyer?, 2010 - 2012
- Leading Lawyer (Restructuring/ Insolvency, China/Hong Kong), Chambers Asia Pacific, 2010 - 2016
- Leading Lawyer (Restructuring & Insolvency, Hong Kong), Asia Pacific Legal 500, 2011 - 2015
- Outstanding Practitioner (Insolvency & Restructuring), Guide to the World's Leading Insolvency and Restructuring Lawyers 9th Edition, 2010
Professional Associations and Memberships
- New South Wales Bar Association
- Law Society of Hong Kong
- Law Society of England & Wales
- Member, List of Arbitrators, HKIAC
- Fellow, Hong Kong Institute of Directors
- HKICPA (Restructuring & Insolvency Faculty and Compliance Forum)
- Hong Kong (1991)
- England & Wales~United Kingdom (1990)
- New South Wales~Australia (1986)
- Sydney University (LL.B. Honors) (1986)
- Sydney University (Bachelor of Economics) (1984)
Firm Committee Memberships
From 2014-2018 Gary served on the Firm’s Global Executive, including as Chair, Asia Pacific 2016-2018.