Gary A. Seib
Gary Seib is focused on bringing together global, regional and local teams to deliver commercial success for the Firm’s clients. He passionately believes in simplifying complex legal and business matters. Gary is known for his client-centric approach that drives value and innovation. Gary was described by clients in the Acritas Stars Report as being "Knowledgeable, very approachable, friendly."
Gary was a keynote speaker at Baker McKenzie's Doing Business Globally event in India in 2017, addressing business leaders on how to navigate today's complex business environment. He has been a regular participant in World Economic Forum events across the globe, and has taken a leading role in the Firm’s Asia Pacific Meeting, held this year in Bangkok.
He previously served as the global chair of the Firm's Dispute Resolution practice (2009 - 2014) and before that as Asia Pacific chair of the practice (2006 - 2009). Gary also served as regional co-chair of the Firm's Compliance practice in the Asia Pacific. He is one of the first lawyers to be granted Solicitor Advocate status before the Hong Kong courts and is ranked as Eminent Practitioner and one of the leading lawyers in his field by top legal directories, including Chambers Asia, Chambers Global, Asia Pacific Legal 500 and IFLR 1000. Gary has written numerous articles for publications in Australia and Hong Kong on topics ranging from insolvency and corporate rescue, corporate compliance investigations and enforcement to fraud risk, insider trading, and market misconduct. He has also written and spoken extensively on corporate compliance, risk management, and cross-border dispute resolution.
Gary is a commercial litigator whose practice focuses on corporate governance, compliance and regulatory matters — including cross-border fraud investigations, asset tracing claims and recovery actions. He also practices in other areas of corporate law and commercial disputes, including IT and communications disputes, insolvency matters, employment and employee claims, professional indemnity claims and other insurance work.
Gary has extensive experience in international arbitration and alternative dispute resolution procedures.
Representative Legal Matters
- Leading several major commercial arbitrations before the HKIAC, including in the successful defence of a USD1.2 billion claim made against his client arising out of an alleged joint venture.
- Acted for a major multinational engineering and infrastructure group regarding the Hong Kong and China aspects of a global compliance investigation.
- Represented liquidators and provisional liquidators of several failed publicly listed corporate groups in Hong Kong and China.
- Acted in several post-M&A disputes and other contract disputes.
- Acted as team lead for a major pharmaceutical group in connection with product recall and liability matters, including managing criminal charges; licensing, operational and supply agreement issues with relevant regulators; as well as civil claims.
- Coordinated the Asia Pacific aspects of a global recall of electrical products, including management of the Hong Kong aspects of the recall.
- Represented a multinational manufacturer of building products regarding the termination and recovery proceedings against a group of employees and third parties based on employee fraud and diversion of business.
- Acted for a property developer/project manager in respect of a claim against a former employee for diversion of business and misuse of confidential information.
- Represented a publicly listed PRC manufacturing group in a wrongful termination suit brought by its former chairman/CEO.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- New South Wales Bar Association
- Law Society of Hong Kong
- Law Society of England & Wales
- HKICPA (Restructuring and Insolvency Faculty)
- World Economic Forum - Global Advisory Council
- Hong Kong (1991)
- England & Wales~United Kingdom (1990)
- New South Wales~Australia (1986)
- Sydney University (LL.B. Honors) (1986)
- Sydney University (Bachelor of Economics) (1984)