Sebastian's practice focuses on all matters of media and IT law, including media related youth protection and criminal laws, hate speech laws, data protection law, copyright law, gambling laws, eCommerce, app commerce, contract law, film taxes etc. Sebastian also regularly advises on the media and IT aspects of M&A activities and was involved in several entertainment industry related M&A transactions. Amongst others, he advised several video games and movie publishers on blacklisting procedures to lift the ban of over 20 video games and movies. He was the lead coordinator in relation to several loot box proceedings in different jurisdictions, including Belgium and the Netherlands. He also represented a leading video games publisher and several movie publishers on a variety of court proceedings to lift the criminal law ban of video games and movies in Germany.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised several video gaming and film companies on blacklisting procedures to lift the ban of almost 20 video games and films.
- Advised on a broad range of data protection matters including administrative proceedings initiated by a data protection authority in conjunction with a large M&A transaction.
- Advised various video game companies on loot boxes, including land mark proceedings in the NL and Belgium.
- Advised Sony on the rehabilitation of the banned movie “The Evil Dead” (Tanz der Teufel), including court and administrative proceedings.
- Responsible for land mark proceedings for Apple/iTunes before the European General Court against the German film tax on foreign VoD providers.
- Advised on and appealed several age-rating decisions in Australia and Germany.
- Germany (2014)
- Bond University (Master of Law) (2014)
- High Regional Court of Berlin (Second State Exam) (2012)
- Freie Universitaet of Berlin (First State Exam) (2010)
Author, "Loot Boxes in Japan: Legal Analysis and Kompu Gacha Explained", 3 August 2018
Author, "French gambling regulator releases its position on Loot Boxes", LinkedIn, 30 June 2018
Legal Expert (Sachverständiger), "Durchwirkungsregelung des neuen JMStV – Anmerkungen aus praktischer Sicht, rechtsmissbräuchliche Anträge und Zensurverbot", Gremien-Sitzung der Kommission für Jugendmedienschutz (KJM) zur Etablierung des Durchwirkungsverfahrens, Mai 2016