Sebastian Schwiddessen is a member of Baker McKenzie's Information Technology Practice Group in Munich. Before he joined Baker McKenzie he worked for 12 years in the area of marketing and entertainment related youth protection law. During his judicial clerkship he worked for two international law firms where he was, inter alia, part of a practice group focusing on IT, film and media law. He regularly publishes articles covering IT and media law with special focus on related youth protection and criminal laws. He earned a master of law degree from Bond University, Australia with specialization in information technology, intellectual property and e-commerce.
Sebastian's practice focuses on information technology and media law with emphasis on related youth protection, data protection, marketing and criminal laws. Due to his experience in marketing, Sebastian’s practice considers in particular the marketing and commercial aspects of the client's demands. Sebastian is responsible for several court and administrative proceedings regarding regulatory matters concerning films, games and other media, including landmark proceedings concerning the rehabilitation of some well-known US movies which are banned in Germany.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised several national and international companies from the video gaming industry regarding USK ratings or other youth protection related matters such as blacklisted and banned video games, including representing them in administrative and judicial proceedings to lift such bans.
- Advised and represented Sony Pictures Home Entertainment on legal and administrative procedures to unban Sam Raimi’s film classic “The Evil Dead” in Germany, including all connected media regulatory, youth protecting, marketing and bootleg matters.
- Advised several national and international film and media publishers regarding the rehabilitation of banned and/or blacklisted films and other media in Germany, including related court and administrative proceedings.
- Responsible for carrying out youth protection audits for international online media stores to identify banned and/or blacklisted music albums, movies and other media in order to prevent regulatory measures by German authorities.
- Advised an international video-on-demand platform regarding age-gating requirements in Germany.
- Advised a client on matters of youth protection law, age-gating, IARC ratings and hosting privilege with regard to the introduction of a new app store platform.
- Advised a well-known fashion company on matters of e-commerce and data protection law concerning adults and minors.
- Advised a major film studio on matters of youth protection and data protection laws regarding several movie websites.
- Advised an international game developer on matters of youth protection and age rating requirements.
- Germany (2014)
- Bond University (Master of Law) (2014)
- High Regional Court of Berlin (Second State Exam) (2012)
- Freie Universitaet of Berlin (First State Exam) (2010)
Baker & McKenzie Partnerschaft von Rechtsanwälten, Wirtschaftsprüfern und Steuerberatern mbB is a professional partnership under German law registered with the Local Court of Frankfurt/Main at PR No. 1602. It is associated with Baker & McKenzie International, a Verein organized under the laws of Switzerland.