Sebastian Schwiddessen is a member of Baker McKenzie's TMT Practice in Munich. At the age of 21, he set up his own online business focusing on entertainment media (games and movies). He continued to grow his business while focusing on his law studies. After finishing his law studies, Sebastian sold his business into trusted hands to fully focus on his profession as a lawyer in the area of media and IT law. Due to his previous work Sebastian was able to gain in-depth knowledge of the entertainment industry which now helps him to better understand his clients' needs and their business as well as to provide more business oriented advice.
Sebastian's practice focuses on all matters of media and IT law, including media related youth protection and criminal laws, data protection law, gambling laws, eCommerce, app commerce, contract law, film taxes etc.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised several video gaming and film companies on blacklisting procedures to lift the ban of almost 20 video games and films.
- Advised on a broad range of data protection matters including administrative proceedings initiated by a data protection authority in conjunction with a large M&A transaction.
- Advised various video game companies on loot boxes, including land mark proceedings in the NL and Belgium.
- Advised Sony on the rehabilitation of the banned movie “The Evil Dead” (Tanz der Teufel), including court and administrative proceedings.
- Responsible for land mark proceedings for Apple/iTunes before the European General Court against the German film tax on foreign VoD providers.
- Advised on and appealed several age-rating decisions in Australia and Germany.
- Germany (2014)
- Bond University (Master of Law) (2014)
- High Regional Court of Berlin (Second State Exam) (2012)
- Freie Universitaet of Berlin (First State Exam) (2010)
Baker & McKenzie Partnerschaft von Rechtsanwälten und Steuerberatern mbB is a professional partnership under German law registered with the Local Court of Frankfurt/Main at PR No. 1602. It is associated with Baker & McKenzie International, a Verein organized under the laws of Switzerland.