Erik Scheer is a senior counsel in the Firm's Amsterdam office. He is an attorney-at-law and tax adviser in the area of indirect taxes: VAT and customs. He is a recognized tax litigator and has been consistently named a leading tax lawyer in Chambers, Legal 500 and International Tax Review.
Erik's main area of practice is in indirect taxes (VAT and customs). He focuses on advising multinational and Dutch clients, particularly on the global VAT aspects of cross-border transactions and customs matters. He has over two decades of experience in advising multinational clients on their European and global tax needs, specifically with respect to (indirect) tax aspects of global supply chain management, financial services, international mergers and acquisitions and post-merger integration.
Representative Legal Matters
- Representing and acting as global coordinator for a client in a global cross-border asset transaction.
- Advising clients with respect to tax aspects of supply chain modeling.
- Representing clients before the VAT and customs authorities and European Commission in Brussels.
- Representing clients in Tax Court, Dutch Supreme Court and European Court of Justice in Luxembourg.
- Rendering advice to clients regarding the VAT and customs aspects of new EMEA-wide sales structures.
- Advising clients and coordinating between participating jurisdictions with respect to voluntary disclosure of certain incorrect VAT and customs filings.
- Negotiating customs valuation rulings with the Dutch customs authorities.
- Tax Controversy Leader, International Tax Review, 2017
Professional Associations and Memberships
- International Bar Association
- International Fiscal Association
- Dutch Association of Tax Advisers (NOB)
- Dutch Bar Association (NOvA)
- Amsterdam~Netherlands (1991)
- Leiden University (1988)
Baker & McKenzie Amsterdam N.V. is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.