Keerati joined Baker McKenzie in 2013 and is currently active in the Tax Practice Group and the International Commercial & Trade Practice Group. Prior to joining the Firm, he worked as an in-house lawyer at a leading automotive company, in which his areas of practice were general corporate matters, labor law, intellectual property law and customs law.
Keerati’s practice includes:
- Providing legal services and assistance with indirect taxes and international trade issues.
- Providing legal advice on international trade and customs law.
- Advising clients on customs valuations, customs tariff classifications, customs duty privileges, rules of origin, and import/export requirements, including requests for advanced rulings.
- Providing pre-audit strategic work, i.e., revising internal customs handbooks and document retention policies, and advising on implications of transfer price adjustments and customs valuation reports.
Representative Legal Matters
- Assisting a major US shoe manufacturer with a GATT valuation issue and other disputes with the Thai Customs Department.
- Litigating a successful appeals case before the Central Tax Court on the customs tariff classification of automotive parts.
- Litigating a successful appeals case before the Central Tax Court on the customs tariff classification of dietary supplements.
- Litigating a successful appeals case before the Central Tax Court on the utilization of customs duty privileges when importing automotive parts into Thailand.
- Litigating a successful appeals case before the Appeals Committee and the Central Tax Court on the customs tariff classification of automatic teller machines.
- Researching local laws implementing ATIGA and import duties, in respect to ASEAN countries, for clients in the automobile business.
- Representing leading vehicle manufacturers and parts suppliers and companies in the electronics, food, fashion, chemical products and pharmaceutical industries in defending customs cases and disputes with the Thai Customs Department or the Department of Special Investigation in regards to customs formalities, customs valuation, customs duty privileges and customs tariff classification of imported goods.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Customs Sub-Committee of the Thai Chamber of Commerce - Member
- Customs Sub-Committee of the Thai Chamber of Commerce - Assistant to a member
- Sub-Committee of the National Legislative Assembly on Tax Revenue - Assistant to a member
- Special Committee of the National Legislative Assembly on Consideration of the Customs Act - Assistant to a member
- Thailand~Thailand (2010)
- Thai Bar Association (Certification Taxation and International Taxation) (2015)
- National Institute of Development Administration (Specialization Course Mini Master of Management Program) (2012)
- National University of Singapore (LL.M. Intellectual Property and Technology Law) (2011)
- Universite Paul Cezanne Aix Marseille III (LL.M. General Public Law) (2010)
- Chulalongkorn University (LL.B. 1st class honors) (2007)
- Ramkhamhaeng University (B.A. Political Science 2nd class honors) (2006)
- “Free Trade Agreement Developments and Strategies and an Update on Brexit,” Baker McKenzie Asia Pacific International Commerce and Trade Client Conference, Tokyo, November 2018
- “Customs Audit Trends in Light of the New Customs Act,” Baker McKenzie Bangkok, December 2017
- “Regional Updates on the ASEAN Economic Community — AEC updates from the Trade/Customs perspectives,” Baker McKenzie Asia Pacific International Commercial and Trade Internal Webinar Series, January 2017
- “Advancing Tax Planning for Increasing Purchasing & Procurement Profit,” Asia Business Connect, Bangkok, August 2016
- Baker McKenzie Asia Pacific International Commercial & Trade client conferences on various customs and indirect tax issues since 2014
- “New Customs Act: Opportunities or New Challenges for Business Operators?” Baker McKenzie Client Alert, November 2017
- “Regional Trade Updates — Thailand,” Baker McKenzie, May 2017
- “The New Customs Notification on Customs Appeal Process, Stay of Duty Payment and Detention of Goods — Is it a New Scheme to Restrict the Right to Appeal from the Customs Department?” Baker McKenzie Client Alert, June 2016
- “The Organic Laws: Comparative Study between France and Thailand,” Éditions Universitaires Européenes, 2011 (French)
Baker & McKenzie Ltd. is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.