Andrew Salgo is a partner in Baker McKenzie’s Dispute Resolution Practice Group in Sydney and the chair of the Firm's Risk Committee. He has represented clients before the Supreme Courts of New South Wales, Victoria, Western Australia, Queensland and Tasmania; the Federal Court and the High Court. Andrew was chair of the Australia offices from 2005 to 2009, and has served on the Firm's Management Committee for most of the period from 1990 to the present. He also served on the Firm's global Professional Responsibility and Practice Committee from 2010 to 2014.
Andrew has worked with many high-profile clients across many areas of law, handling significant and complex disputes. In addition to commercial litigation, his work has also involved class actions, arbitration, intellectual property disputes, commissions and investigations, and representation in examinations and other dealings concerning the Australian Securities Investment Commission.
Representative Legal Matters
- Acting for clients in landmark High Court cases concerning preliminary discovery, contractual election, and professional negligence and judgment estoppel.
- Acting for clients in important NSW Supreme Court, Court of Appeal cases that involve, among others, director's duties, accountant's liabilities, and solicitor's negligence.
- Acting for McDonald’s in the defense of class action and ACCC proceedings taken for 6,000 rejected claimants in McDonald’s "McMatch & Win" Monopoly competition.
- Acting for Arthur Andersen, the auditors of the HIH Insurance, in a Royal Commission in relation to an HIH takeover of FAI proceedings and in a class action.
- Representing Seeker Aircraft America before the Queensland Supreme Court in a complex international intellectual property dispute concerning the licensing of design rights to an innovative aircraft from Seabird Aviation Australia.
- Acting for Unilever against Revlon in relation to various advertising claims made for Revlon's Mitchum Clinical antiperspirant, and defending Unilever from Revlon's claims that Unilever's "Clinical Protection" infringed Revlon's intellectual property rights.
- One of fourteen litigators named as an expert and leader in Australia by Who's Who Legal 2016.
- One of Australia's 23 leading individual dispute resolution lawyers, Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2016.
- One of Australia's best litigation lawyers, Best Lawyers, 2012-2016.
- High Court of Australia~Australia (1986)
- Victoria~Australia (1984)
- New South Wales~Australia (1978)
- University of New South Wales (LL.B.) (1977)
- University of New South Wales (B.A.) (1975)
Baker & McKenzie, an Australian Partnership, is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.