Andrew has worked with many high profile clients across many areas of law handling complex disputes where significant commercial and reputational interests have been involved.
This experience has included work in the Supreme Courts of New South Wales, Victoria, Western Australia, Queensland and Tasmania, the Federal Court, and the High Court.
In addition to commercial litigation Andrew's work has also involved class actions, arbitration, intellectual property disputes, commissions and investigations, and representation in examinations and other dealings concerning the Australian Securities Investment Commission.
Representative Legal Matters
Acting in landmark High Court cases, concerning preliminary discovery (John Fairfax v Cojuangco) contractual election (Immer v Uniting Church) and professional negligence and judgment estoppel (Baxter v Moon).
Acting in important NSW Supreme Court, Court of Appeal cases including ATO v Dick (director's duties), Arthur Andersen v Buzzle (accountant's liabilities), Hudson Investment Group v Atanaskovic Hartnell (solicitor's negligence).
Acting for McDonald’s in successful defence of class action and ACCC proceedings taken for 6,000 rejected claimants in McDonald’s “McMatch & Win” Monopoly competition (Federal Court).
Acting for Arthur Andersen, the auditors of the HIH Insurance, in a Royal Commission, on HIH takeover of FAI proceedings and in a class action.
Acting for Seeker Aircraft America in a complex international intellectual property dispute concerning licensing of design rights to an innovative aircraft from Seabird Aviation Australia (Queensland Supreme Court).
Acting for Unilever against Revlon in relation to various advertising claims made for Revlon's "Mitchum Clinical" antiperspirant, and defending Unilever from Revlon's claims that Unilever's "Clinical Protection" infringed Revlon's intellectual property rights (Federal Court).
Andrew is consistently recognised as amongst the leading lawyers in Australia.
- One of 14 litigators named as an expert and leader in Australia by Who's Who Legal, 2019.
- One of Australia's 23 leading individual dispute resolution lawyers, Asia Pacific Legal 500, 2019.
- One of Australia's best litigation lawyers, Best Lawyers, from 2008-2019 in Alternative Dispute Resolution, Class Action Litigation and Litigation.
- High Court of Australia~Australia (1986)
- Victoria~Australia (1984)
- New South Wales~Australia (1978)
- University of New South Wales (LL.B.) (1977)
- University of New South Wales (B.A.) (1975)