Yuliana Salamanca is an associate of Intellectual Property group in Baker McKenzie Bogota, where she began working as a law clerk while enrolled in law school in 2006. She has handled legal assignments relating to trademark and copyright prosecution and litigation, particularly matters related to infringement and unfair competition actions. During the summer of 2013, she participated in a secondment with the Intellectual Property Council of Caterpillar Inc. in Peoria, Illinois. She does pro bono work for the ProBono Foundation Colombia in a case related to the abduction of children by their mother and taken to the US. She is core counsel for the father in Colombia and coordinate the attorneys in the US helping with Hague Convention Return case.
Ms. Salamanca advises in the areas of trademark prosecution and enforcement as well as unfair competition. Her clients come from a broad range of industries, including fashion, food, alcohol, cosmetics, heavy machinery, technology, cigarettes and pharmaceuticals. She has participated in successful cases regarding enforcement through cease and desist letters, civil actions, criminal actions and border measures related to trademark infringement. Her experience includes obtaining trademark coexistence agreements between significant competitors in the same industry.
Representative Legal Matters
- Represented Caterpillar Inc. in connection with recovering trademarks of FG WILSON in different countries in Latin America and settling cases in the US. Currently serves as the client’s main contact for all trademark matters and the management of its portfolio in Latin America.
- Advised on and conducted due diligence for British American Tobacco in its acquisition of Protabaco in Colombia.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Boston Bar Association - Member
- U.S. University Alumni Network sponsored by the U.S. Embassy in Colombia - Steering Committee
- Boston University Alumni Club in Colombia - Ambassador
- Colombia (2008)
- Boston University School of Law
- Universidad de Los Andes
Author, "Pre-established damages for trademark infringers," Diario La República, October 2015
Baker & McKenzie S.A.S., is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein