Jacobo Romo joined Baker McKenzie in 2005 and became an associate in 2012 in the Firm's Employment and Compensation Practice Group. He also a member of the Firm's Industrials, Manufacturing & Transportation Industry Group.
His experience includes legal matters related with consulting and lawsuit litigation in the areas of employment, commercial, civil, constitutional right protection (amparo), data privacy.
Jacobo Romo focuses his practice on matters related to labor, civil, commercial litigation, constitutional right protection (amparo) and criminal proceedings.
Jacobo's experience in labor matters involve major projects on labor restructuring, including wage and hour issues, individual employment contracts, unionizing activities, collective bargaining, outsourcing and interpretation of work rules, terminations and layoffs, including providing counsel on separation agreements and the legal and regulatory notice requirements associated with reductions in force and plant closings. His experience includes representation or prosecution of claims of wrongful dismissal and social security matters.
He also has background in commercial and civil matters such as claims on landlord and tenant issues, breaches of contracts and/or agreements, estates, lease contracts, divorce procedures and promissory notes.
For criminal proceedings, Jacobo represents companies that suffered loss of assets for thefts or frauds committed by employees.
Representative Legal Matters
- Represented major domestic and foreign companies in strategic labor planning and to establish operations in Mexico.
- Represented major domestic and foreign companies in complex labor litigation matters.
- Conducted individual and collective terminations of labor relationships of top-level executives and expatriates.
- Represented companies that suffered fire conflagration in its facilities, in collective labor planning.
- Represented major domestic and foreign companies in complex commercial and civil litigation proceedings on breach of contracts, landlord and tenant issues, execution of credit agreements, stockholders’ rights, mortgages, lease contracts and collection of debt matters.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- National Association of Corporate Attorneys (ANADE) - Employment Committee
- National Association of Maquiladoras in Mexico (INDEX) - Employment Committee
- Advised in connection with a land property to an educational institution.
- Advised on employment, commercial and civil matter to non-profit associations in Mexico.
- Juarez~Mexico (2006)
- Universidad Autonoma de Ciudad Juárez (JD) (2006)
- Seminars on labor amendments, 2012
- Seminars on Labor Politic in Mexico and North Cross-Border, 2018
- Seminars on T-MEC, 2020