Meera Rolaz is an associate at Baker McKenzie's Antitrust, EU & Trade Law and Compliance & Investigations Practice Groups in Zurich. She is also part of the Data & Technology team.
After graduating from Oxford University with a Bachelor of Arts and a Master degree, she completed her LLB at the London University of Law and qualified as a UK solicitor in 2016. She worked over 7 years at Baker McKenzie in London and has spent time in the Amsterdam office before joining Baker McKenzie Zurich in 2022.
Meera is bilingual in French and English.
Meera has broad experience advising multinational companies on a wide range of competition, commercial and trade law matters. Competition law practice includes EU and UK competition regimes and encompasses merger control, cartel investigations and anti-competitive arrangements, particularly in relation to vertical agreements and market dominance.
In relation to trade, she has advised on an array of compliance issues such as customs, trade sanctions, anti-bribery and corruption. She regularly advises clients on import and export matters, including customs valuation, rules of origin, classification and EU, UK and Swiss export controls and trade sanctions. She has conducted on-the-ground due diligence reviews for clients, both as part of a M&A process and as part of a general internal compliance assessment.
As a member of the Firm's healthcare industry group, her contribution includes assisting healthcare companies on a breadth of compliance matters as well as Brexit planning. Her involvement in the Firm's financial institutions industry group includes advising banks on compliance policies as well as UK and EU trade sanctions regulations.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised military company on an immunity application to the UK Competition and Markets Authority in the context of a cartel investigation
- Acted as lead associate for major investment consultancy and fiduciary management firm on CMA market investigation - shortlisted for "Competition & regulatory team of the year" by The Lawyer Awards
- Advised Platinum Equity Group on multiple portfolio acquisitions in the industrial manufacturing and technology sectors, including a 2 billion USD merger of two aerospace parts suppliers
- Provided competition law advice to Hitachi on the USD 11 billion acquisition of ABB's power grids business in over 100 jurisdictions (the biggest acquisition by a Japanese industrial company)
- Advised Japanese conglomerate on EU merger filings processes
- Acted on behalf of an international mining company on multi-jurisdictional bribery investigation
- Advised a number of companies in the chemicals and manufacturing sectors on devising compliance programmes
- Advised companies in the technology and automobile sectors on the impact of Brexit on supply chains and customs procedures
- Advised pharmaceutical group on the impact of Brexit on its UK and EU operations
- Assisted leading technology company on a number of export control matters
- Acted for a number of companies in the military, nuclear and technology sectors in relation to voluntary disclosure of export control violations to UK HMRC
- Advised major technology group on military export control violation under Swiss law including disclosure to Swiss authority
- Assisted US private equity firm on internal investigation of US sanctions violation
- Advised major oil company on the impact of Russia sanctions on USD 1 billion prepayment agreement
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Zurich Bar Association - Member
- Law Society of England and Wales - Member
- W@ platform for women professionals - Member
- IMD Alumni Network - Member
- Oxford University Alumni - Member
- Zurich Art. 28 BGFA~Switzerland (2022)
- England & Wales~United Kingdom (2016)
- IMD Business School (Future Leaders Programme) (2021)
- King's College London (Postgraduate Diploma in EU Competition Law) (2020)
- University of Law (LLB (GDL & LPC)) (2014)
- Oxford University (BA Hons, Master of Arts, Classics) (2012)