Jörg Risse is a member of the German Dispute Resolution Group of Baker McKenzie. Being double-qualified as an attorney-at-law in Germany and in New York (USA), he represents his clients in international arbitrations before all major arbitral institutions. Since Jörg Risse is frequently appointed to act as an arbitrator or mediator, his clients also benefit from his "judiciary" outlook on a case. Jörg Risse teaches advocacy skills and dispute resolution at the University of Mannheim.
Jörg Risse advises in post merger & acquisition disputes, in particular in price adjustment disputes, reps & warranty claims and claims raised against advisors of the transaction. His second main area of practice are disputes related to major infrastructure projects such as power plants, offshore wind farms, electricity networks, public transport projects or airports. Most of his clients are turn-key contractors for large projects and companies from the chemical, automotive, medical and mass transport industry. Jörg Risse has special expertise in ADR-proceedings where he advises his clients in settlement negotiations, mediation and adjudication proceedings.
Representative Legal Matters
- Represents a German utility company in a >EUR 1 billion dispute over power plant construction.
- Represents a shareholder in a >EUR 100 million dispute over a joint venture in the gas industry.
- Represented a German multinational against a French company in an ICC arbitration about the dissolution of a joint venture in the energy industry with an amount in dispute of >EUR 1 billion.
- Acted for a North-American company in an ICC arbitration about a failed public private partnership project in Korea with an amount in dispute of >USD 500 million.
- Represented a German/Turkish joint venture in an ICC arbitration about a mass transport project in Turkey with an amount in dispute of >USD 300 million.
- Acted as arbitrator in an ICC arbitration of a compliance-related dispute between a multinational engineering company and its Asian agent; amount in dispute >USD 30 million.
- Acted as arbitrator in an ad hoc arbitration between a private equity company and an international consultancy about alleged defaults in advising a transaction with an amount in dispute of >EUR 30 million.
- Acted as arbitrator in a DIS arbitration about price adjustments in an M&A transaction between an international construction company and an Asian buyer; amount in dispute EUR 25 million.
- Acted as mediator in a EUR 20 million conflict between the seller of a publishing company and the respective buyer with mainly accounting issues in dispute.
- Acted as mediator in a multi-million dollar dispute about a water generation & purifying system in Africa.
- Acritas Star, Acritas Sharplegal 2018
- Band 1 in Dispute Resolution: Arbitration Counsel, Chambers Global 2017/2018
- Band 2 in Dispute Resolution: Most in Demand Arbitrators, Chambers Global 2017/2018
- Leading name in Arbitration, Juve Germany, October 2017/2018/2019
- "Talented speaker and tactician," JUVE 2016/2017
- "Market leading counsel and arbitrator," Who's Who Legal 2017
- Lawyer of the Year in International Arbitration, Handelsblatt/Best Lawyers 2015/2016
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Association Suisse de l'Arbitrage - Member
- German American Lawyers Association (DAJV) - Member
- German Institution of Arbitration (DIS) - Member
- New York~United States (1999)
- Germany (1997)
- University of Heidelberg (Dr. iur.) (1997)
- University of California at Berkeley (Boalt Hall) (LL.M.) (1997)
- University of Heidelberg (State Exam.) (1993)
- Certified Banking Trainee (1989)