Carl is a partner in the Employment Group at Baker McKenzie. He focuses on advising organisations on the employment aspects of financial transactions together with more general employment and litigation advice.
Carl has been recommended in the Chambers legal directory as being “hailed for his rigour and interpersonal approach to assignments”, an ability to “build a rapport very quickly with clients." Carl is also recommended by Legal 500 and has been quoted as being “excellent across the board” “very thorough,” “strong on transactional matters," “staying on top of the issues” and is further quoted as being “thorough, patient and goes the extra mile.”
Carl focuses on employment advice linked to financial transactions including Carve Outs, Mergers and Acquisitions, Transactions and Corporate deals.
Carl also has significant experience in international project management. It is for this work his team won Commercial Team of the Year 2015 at the British Legal Awards and was shortlisted for the Transatlantic Innovators award at the Transatlantic Legal Awards 2016.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advising Universal Music Group on the employment aspects of the separation of the Parlophone Label Group (home of artists including Blur, Coldplay and Pink Floyd) from the EMI Recorded Music business and its subsequent sale to the Warner Music Group for GBP 487 million.
- Advising Macquarie Infrastructure on the employment aspects of the acquisition of the Sutton Bridge Power Station business from EDF Energy.
- Advising Cordet Capital Partners LLP on all UK employment law matters from inception by its founding members, to launch and closing of its debut fund.
- Advising Bregal Capital and Bregal Freshstream on employment restructuring and transfer issues, as well as ongoing confidential employment matters.
- Advising US private equity giant Marlin Private Equity on its acquisition of the global Arcserve business from CA Inc, including co-ordinating and project managing the consultation with, and transfer of, employees in 28 jurisdictions;
- Advising Inflexion Equity Partners on the complex carve out of Engineering Inspection & Consultancy division (BES) from Royal & Sun Alliance Insurance plc.
- Advising the Reader's Digest Association in connection with the restructuring of its European operations.
- Successfully defending a City financial institution in high profile Tribunal proceedings for sexual harassment and pregnancy related discrimination.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Society England and Wales
- Employment Lawyers Association
- Associate - American Bar Association (2009 - 2014)
- Albert Kennedy Trust
- Alzheimer's Association
- British Heart Foundation
- England & Wales~United Kingdom (1999)
- Nottingham Trent University (LLB Hons (Class 2:1))
- Nottingham Law School (LPC - Commendation)