Representative Legal Matters
Act for Korea Water Resources Corporation, a major Korean company engaged in comprehensive water resource development and providing both public and industrial water in South Korea, on matters relating to the project company’s Concession Agreement with the Metropolitan Waterworks and Sewerage System for the Bulacan Bulk Water Supply project under the Philippine PPP program, drafting and negotiation of technical service agreements, joint venture agreement with a Philippine conglomerate, and accession agreement to an omnibus loan and security agreement with a consortium of Philippine banks.
Represent a Philippine affiliate of ASX-listed Red Mountain Mining Limited in (a) obtaining the required local government consent and in engagement with the national government for a gold project to proceed to production following completion of its feasibility study and (b) joint venture negotiations in respect of a number of its tenements.
Advise one of the largest banks in Korea and the investment banking arm of another large Korean bank in respect of its investments in and the structuring of project company that will construct and operate a waste incineration plant.
Advise Japan Overseas Infrastructure Investment Corporation for Transport & Urban Development, a Japanese government corporation that provides financial support and expertise for overseas infrastructure businesses on transaction structuring (joint venture) in relation to its partnership with the Bases Conversion and Development Authority for the Clark Green City and the Clark Rail Transit System projects.
Advise Galoc Production Company, an oil exploration services company on commercial and regulatory matters in relation to its interests and duties as operator for the Galoc oil field project and other petroleum services contracts in the exploration stage.
Advise Hero Future Energies Asia Pte. Ltd., one of the leading independent power producers in the renewable energy sector based in India with regional offices in Singapore, in connection with the proposed joint venture with a Philippine company for the development of a solar power project in Northern Philippines. Advise on deal structuring and transaction documentation, including investment agreement, shareholders agreement, power sales agreement with distribution utility, and land due diligence.
Assist SK Engineering & Construction Co. and Seohee Construction Co. Ltd., two engineering and construction companies from South Korea in connection with the proposed Quezon Coal-Fired Thermal Plant Project.
Advise Bluebird Merchant Ventures in respect of its investments in Egerton Gold, a Philippine gold mining company, in contractual matters and engagement with the national and local government. Assist client in preparing the response to a show cause letter from the former Secretary of the Philippine Department of Environment and Natural Resources ("DENR") (which has since been removed from office) on the matter of the mining project allegedly being situated in a watershed area.
Advise a Philippines-based nickel industry organization in respect of its position paper to be submitted to the House of Representatives relating to the bill proposing a legislative franchise for mining operations.
Advise BNP Paribas on the completed project financing of a gold mine on Masbate Island, Philippines and in the conduct of a legal due diligence of the project.
- Leading Individual, Corporate/M&A, The Legal 500 Asia Pacific, 2014-2020
- Leading Individual, Projects and Energy, The Legal 500 Asia Pacific, 2014-2020
- Market Leader, IFLR1000: Financial and Corporate Guide, 2017-2020
- Ranked Lawyer, Projects, Infrastructure & Energy, Chambers Asia Pacific, 2012-2020
- Ranked Lawyer, Projects, Infrastructure & Energy, Chambers Global, 2012-2020
- Distinguished practitioner for Energy, Infrastructure, Asialaw Leading Lawyers, 2020
- "A-List" of the Top 100 Lawyers in the Philippines, Asia Business Law Journal, 2018
- Leading Lawyer, IFLR1000: Energy and Infrastructure Guide, 2015-2016
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Philippines-Australia Business Council - Chairman
- Enactus Philippines - Corporate Secretary
- International Bar Association - Member, Section on Energy, Environment, Natural Resources and Infrastructure Law
- Chamber of Mines of the Philippines - Member, Legal Committee
- Australian Resources and Energy Law Association (AMPLA) - Founding Committee Member, Singapore Branch
- Australian Resources and Energy Law Association (AMPLA)
- Association of International Petroleum Negotiators
- Philippine Mining and Exploration Association
- Philippine Mine Safety and Exploration Association
- Australia-New Zealand Chamber of Commerce of the Philippines
- Canadian Chamber of Commerce of the Philippines, Inc.
- Philippine Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Korean Chamber of Commerce of the Philippines
- Philippines (2000)
- University of the Philippines (LLB Order of the Purple Feather Honor Society)
- University of the Philippines (BS Business Administration and Accountancy cum laude)
Author, "Primer on the Philippine Minerals Industry," Quisumbing Torres, 2016
Co-author, "International Guide to Contaminated Land," Baker McKenzie, October 2015
Co-author, "Asia Pacific Guide to Mergers & Acquisitions," Baker McKenzie, January 2013
Author, "Philippine Mineral, Oil and Gas, and Coal Tenure Systems," Australian Resources and Energy Law Journal, July 2009
Co-author, "The Regulation of Cyberspace," The Philippine Law Journal, 1999