Representative Legal Matters
- Act for Korea Water Resources Corporation, a major Korean company engaged in comprehensive water resource development and providing both public and industrial water in South Korea, on matters relating to the project company’s Concession Agreement with the Metropolitan Waterworks and Sewerage System for the Bulacan Bulk Water Supply project under the Philippine PPP program, drafting and negotiation of technical service agreements, joint venture agreement with a Philippine conglomerate, and accession agreement to an omnibus loan and security agreement with a consortium of Philippine banks.
- Advise one of the largest banks in Korea and the investment banking arm of another large Korean bank in respect of its investments in and the structuring of project company that will construct and operate a waste incineration plant.
- Advise Japan Overseas Infrastructure Investment Corporation for Transport & Urban Development, a Japanese government corporation that provides financial support and expertise for overseas infrastructure businesses on transaction structuring (joint venture) in relation to its partnership with the Bases Conversion and Development Authority for the Clark Green City and the Clark Rail Transit System projects.
- Advise Galoc Production Company, an oil exploration services company on commercial and regulatory matters in relation to its interests and duties as operator for the Galoc oil field project and other petroleum services contracts in the exploration stage.
- Advise Hero Future Energies Asia Pte. Ltd., one of the leading independent power producers in the renewable energy sector based in India with regional offices in Singapore, in connection with the proposed joint venture with a Philippine company for the development of a solar power project in Northern Philippines. Advise on deal structuring and transaction documentation, including investment agreement, shareholders agreement, power sales agreement with distribution utility, and land due diligence.
- Assist SK Engineering & Construction Co. and Seohee Construction Co. Ltd., two engineering and construction companies from South Korea in connection with the proposed Quezon Coal-Fired Thermal Plant Project.
- Advise Bluebird Merchant Ventures in respect of its investments in Egerton Gold, a Philippine gold mining company, in contractual matters and engagement with the national and local government. Assist client in preparing the response to a show cause letter from the former Secretary of the Philippine Department of Environment and Natural Resources ("DENR") (which has since been removed from office) on the matter of the mining project allegedly being situated in a watershed area.
- Advise a Philippines-based nickel industry organization in respect of its position paper to be submitted to the House of Representatives relating to the bill proposing a legislative franchise for mining operations.
- Advise BNP Paribas on the completed project financing of a gold mine on Masbate Island, Philippines and in the conduct of a legal due diligence of the project.
- Advise a global financial advisory company on the Deed of Assignment by Way of Security between client and a leading Philippine mining company, including review of the Deed of Amendment and the Loan and Hedging Facilities Agreement in relation to a Minerals Production Sharing Agreement.
- Advise a China-based manufacturer of copper products in respect of the due diligence investigation and transaction advice (share purchase agreement and shareholders agreement) for the acquisition of substantial interests in one of the largest undeveloped copper-gold projects in the Philippines.
- Advise a gaming and integrated entertainment complex operator on a completed project financing from a leading Philippine bank for the construction of client’s integrated entertainment complex in the Philippines.
- Advise Allianz, a German financial services company, in the completed acquisition of a controlling interest in Philippine National Bank, a major Philippine commercial bank's life insurance business in the Philippines.
- Assist the first bank in China to be owned mostly by non-government enterprises, as the lender in the Omnibus Loan and Security Agreement with a telecommunications company in the Philippines, as the borrower.
- Advise and assist an ASEAN Singapore-based technology company that offers ride-hailing and logistics services through its app on the general legal framework of the Philippine e-payment industry including licensing requirements, registration process, and other issues. Assist in the establishment of a financing company in the Philippines.
- Advise a Singapore-based fintech company in respect of the potential establishment of a Philippine entity that will provide digital banking services in the Philippines. Advice include matters relating to financial regulations, licensing and regulatory requirements, including anti money laundering regulations, data privacy, and compliance obligations that would apply to its business activities.
- Represent a Canadian multinational insurance company and financial services provider on administrative enforcement case filed by the Philippine Competition Commission for alleged violation of the provisions of the Philippine Competition Act on vertical anti-competitive restraints.
- Hall of Fame for Projects and Energy, The Legal 500 Asia Pacific, 2021
- Leading Individual for Corporate and M&A, The Legal 500 Asia Pacific, 2014 to 2021
- Leading Individual for Projects and Energy, The Legal 500 Asia Pacific, 2014 to 2020
- Ranked Lawyer for Projects, Infrastructure & Energy/Natural Resources and Mining, Chambers Asia Pacific and Chambers Global, 2018 to 2021
- Distinguished Practitioner for Energy, asialaw Leading Lawyers, 2020 to 2021
- Distinguished Practitioner for Infrastructure, asialaw Leading Lawyers, 2020 to 2021
- A-List Lawyer, The Philippines' Top 100 Lawyers, Asia Business Law Journal, 2018 to 2020
- Market Leader for Energy and Infrastructure, IFLR1000, 2019 to 2020
- Market Leader for Project Finance, IFLR1000, 2019 to 2020
- Market Leader for M&A, IFLR1000, 2019 to 2020
- Asia Best Lawyer for Energy and Infrastructure, M&A and Project Finance, 2019 to 2020
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Philippines-Australia Business Council - Chairman
- Enactus Philippines - Corporate Secretary
- International Bar Association - Member, Section on Energy, Environment, Natural Resources and Infrastructure Law
- Chamber of Mines of the Philippines - Member, Legal Committee
- Australian Resources and Energy Law Association (AMPLA) - Founding Committee Member, Singapore Branch
- Australian Resources and Energy Law Association (AMPLA)
- Association of International Petroleum Negotiators
- Philippine Mining and Exploration Association
- Philippine Mine Safety and Exploration Association
- Australia-New Zealand Chamber of Commerce of the Philippines
- Philippine Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Korean Chamber of Commerce of the Philippines
- Integrated Bar of the Philippines (Laguna) - Director
- Philippine Mineral Reporting Code Committee - Member (representing the Philippines Australia Business Council)/Membership Committee Head
- Philippines (2000)
- University of the Philippines (LLB, Order of the Purple Feather Honor Society)
- University of the Philippines (BS Business Administration and Accountancy, cum laude)
Author, "Primer on the Philippine Minerals Industry," Quisumbing Torres, 2016
Co-author, "International Guide to Contaminated Land," Baker McKenzie, October 2015
Co-author, "Asia Pacific Guide to Mergers & Acquisitions," Baker McKenzie, January 2013
Author, "Philippine Mineral, Oil and Gas, and Coal Tenure Systems," Australian Resources and Energy Law Journal, July 2009
Co-author, "The Regulation of Cyberspace," The Philippine Law Journal, 1999