Marcin Płonka is an advocate admitted to practice in Poland and is a senior associate in the mergers and acquisitions and private equity practices of the Warsaw office of Baker McKenzie.
Prior to joining Baker McKenzie in 2022, for almost 10 years Marcin worked at another renowned global law firm and at a Polish independent law firm founded by the partners of that global law firm after its withdrawal from Poland.
Marcin was named one of Poland’s “Best Young Talents” in the 2016 edition of the American Chamber of Commerce in Poland 30 Under 30 Program, which focused on promoting the “top, brightest, most talented and promising young professionals” in the country.
A specialist in commercial and civil law, with a focus on M&A and private equity transactions, Marcin has advised Polish and international clients, including private equity funds and public companies, on complex and groundbreaking M&A and joint venture transactions.
He has worked on several significant transactions in the TMT and IT market, in particular M&A and joint ventures aimed at expanding Poland's fiber-to-the-home (FTTH) network. His experience also covers the financial, real estate, pharmaceuticals and manufacturing sectors.
Marcin also has a wealth of experience in advising shareholders in joint venture transactions and corporate disputes.
Representative Legal Matters
Prior to joining the Firm, Marcin advised:
- APG on its joint venture with Orange Polska, which aims to have an fiber-to-the-home (FTTH) footprint that passes 2.4 million households by 2025 and also to offer wholesale access to the network. This transaction valued the joint venture at PLN 2.75 billion (USD 642 million).
- The founders of the Archicom, one of the oldest developers and a leader on the Wrocław real estate market, on the sale of a controlling stake in Archicom to Echo Investments. The purchase price of PLN 425.1 million (USD 114.9 million) was partially offset by way of the founders subscribing for PLN 188 million (USD 50,8 million) in bonds issued by Echo Investments.
- Wirtualna Polska on various acquisitions, including the acquisition of Wakacje.pl (top online travel agency), Domodi.pl and Allani.pl (online fashion stores) as well as homebook.pl (online interior design store).
- Oaktree Capital Management and Cornerstone Partners on the acquisition of Avenga Group (formerly IT Kontrakt, leading vendor of IT services outsourcing in Poland) from Work Service.
- The founders and shareholders of Korona Candles, one of the world’s leading manufacturers of candle products, on the disposal of 100% of the shares in Korona Candles to Gala Kerzen, a portfolio company of Equistone Partners Europe.
- Innova Capital acquisition of CS Group Polska, one of the top online marketing services suppliers for the small and medium enterprises sector.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Poland (2016)
- University of Hamburg (LLM) (2012)
- University of Bologna (Master) (2012)
- Jagiellonian University (Master of Laws) (2011)